cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SaraM
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

extend wifi to outbuiding

I recently moved to a new house and I have the Smart hub which seems to  work really well all around this large house now that I've split the channels. There is a cottage just behind the house and I want to boost the signal. It does just about pick up a signal in mostv of the rooms. I bought the dual band wifi extender 610 and it doesn't make much difference. If I put it in the garage (which is part of house nearest to cottage) it is too near the hub, if I put it in the cottage it is too far. My question is:  is it worth buying the whole home wifi kit with the white discs? Or am i just wasting my money? The house and cottage are of modern build.

Apologies if this question has been asked before, and please bear in mind that I'm not very technically minded but managed to set up the wifi extender plug with no problems! Thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: extend wifi to outbuiding

I'm afraid you are going to struggle with a purely wifi solution as the optimal place to site a repeater will be in the  open air between the buildings!!!

The only sensible is to connect a wireless access point in the cottage connected to the hub via a buried Ethernet cable. Unless in the extremely unlikely case the cottage electricity supply is fed from the consumer unit in the house, in which case powerline adaptors could be used.

SaraM
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the reply. How would I go about getting this done, would i need a BT engineer to come and do this for me?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

No, your home wiring is your responsibility not BT's. It's a straightforward diy job or just get a local tradesman in. I assume the 2 buildings have separate electrical consumer units then?

Sorry, forgot to mention, Ethernet has a distance limitation of 100 metres so if the buildings are further apart than that it won't be a solution.
0 Ratings
SaraM
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for the advice. The cottage does have it's own consumer unit and electricity meter. I will find someone locally to do the job for me.       

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Just ensure that the length of the cable connecting the Hub to the wireless access point will be less than 100 metres.

For a basic WAP,  have a look at the TP-LINK TL-WA801ND 300 Mbps Wireless N Access Point

0 Ratings