Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
foobsy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

extending HH5 wifi with switched router

Hi,

I have a HH5 that I want to extend the range of but also to allow the use of wired devices without running ehternet though my house.

I want to put a switched router in the conservatory and connect my non-wifi devices that have ethernet ports such as my TV and (very old) xbox.

I then want to connect that switched router to my HH5 via wifi only, no ethernet cables.

Is that 1) Possible and 2) What do I need to buy (router wise) and 3) Is there any config at the HH5 side I need to do?

I don't want to use ethernet over power line either. I know this can be done. Sky left a small black box that my sky receiver connectes to via ethernet and the box talks to my HH over wifi. Pity there is only 1 ether port on the box...

Thanks.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: extending HH5 wifi with switched router

Can't be done. You can't connect 2 routers via wifi.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Provided you already get a good wireless signal in your conservatory you would need to get a wireless range extender which will connect to your Homehub wirelessly.

The extender should have at least one ethernet port which, should you need more ports, you could connect an Ethernet switch to it to give more ports.

There are a number of wireless range extenders which you could choose such as the TP-Link TL-WA801ND WiFi Range Extender or the Netgear WN3000RP-200UKS WiFi Range Extender to name only two.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

@foobsyJust re-read your post, you don't actually want a router, you just need a wireless access point switch. If you only want wireless N, this will do the job used in AP Client mode.

Edimax EW-7228APn N150 Wireless Access Point with 5 Port switch

edimaxwap.jpg

0 Ratings
foobsy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Thanks - The AP Client Mode is exactly what I'm after. Perhaps my terminology confused the question somewhat. Apologies.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

£20 from Amazon

0 Ratings