Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
heady89
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

fttp open reach box

Go to solution
i have a new property and have to have fttp for the internet, does my wi fi smart hub need to be connected to the open reach box for access to the internet as its situated next to my front door
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: fttp open reach box

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

It will have to connected by some means. Either by a direct connection, or an Ethernet connecting socket which the builders should have provided, or as a last resort, powerline adapters.

New builds should have Ethernet sockets near the Openreach ONT, like this.

ont.jpg

0 Ratings
heady89
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution
the problem is i cant have my sky q box next to the front door, and thier are no ethernet sockets anywhere in the house its crazy
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

@heady89 wrote:
the problem is i cant have my sky q box next to the front door, and thier are no ethernet sockets anywhere in the house its crazy

Then you will have to use powerline adapters to link the modem, to the home hub. Then you can put the home hub wherever you want.

These are the fastest https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-broadband-extender-flex-1000-kit-080219-BB4X.html

0 Ratings
heady89
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution
ok thanks, easy to set up?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

@heady89 wrote:
ok thanks, easy to set up?

Yes, just plug one unit by the Opennreach modem, and the other one where you want to place the home hub, and just use the supplied Ethernet cable to connect them up, The home hub end must be connected to the red network socket on the home hub.

You will only be able to use one of the Ethernet port on those units, as they are on the WAN side not the LAN side.

They use the mains wiring to communicate.

You may find them £10 cheaper by shopping around.

0 Ratings
heady89
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution
if i read correctly i cant wire the adapter to the home box, only the smart hub?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

ONT > powerline adaptor (master) > mains wiring > powerline adaptor (slave) > Hub WAN port