cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

help needed to troubleshoot continuous internet performance issues

Hi, hope someone out there can help me to troubleshoot internet performance issues which are ongoing and sporadic. Apologies in advance for long message!- I've worked in IT for 30+ yrs and although not a network expert am really stuck to figure out the problem 

Basic setup: smart hub2 (2 x Wifi discs), ADSL2- sync speed 11Mbps

problem: v.slow internet perf/ high latency - tested with just laptop connected over ethernet to hub (2.4/5 Ghz wifi disabled on hub) - speed tests fail to run, pages barely load

History: logged multiple calls with BT support who send out openreach to test line (about 10 times so far), NFF, all tests show no fault. Rewired master socket and replaced with latest socket etc..repeat..usually get the comment that there are too many devices connected to the smart 2 hub (yes, theres quite a lot, but who doesn't have lots of devices these days!)...no other suggestions, just raise a call for engineer. Strange thing is each time,  BT can see some issue their end , hence they raise the call

I've spent many hrs troubleshooting this issue. It appears to be related to the hub WAN connection side or something that is keeping the hub from being responsive as when I restart the hub the latency drops for a while and I get ok internet access...when it works ok I get around 9Mbps which is acceptable , when its not working its practically unusable..Netflix/ prime etc all buffer repeatedly..seems especially worse in the evenings , I know thats to be expected but it should still "work"!- problem is that I'm paying not only for BT internet poor performance but also for all the subscription services etc

I've run some traceroutes , examples below that show when bad access, response times from the hub to the external GW is approx. 2000ms- I never have issues on LAN either wired or wifi access the hub itself with reasonable good response times (as expected)

Jhub6_0-1626453768081.pngJhub6_1-1626453881218.png

-i thought that it maybe electrical interference related but its so intermittent I can't figure out what it could be- some days its fine, others it hardly works at all..most evenings are bad though.

- if anyone has any suggestions on this problem or know how to escalate to BT please let me know

thanks

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: help needed to troubleshoot continuous internet performance issues

Disable Smart Setup if you haven't already done so

What is Smart Setup on the BT Hub? How can I turn it on and off? | BT Help

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: help needed to troubleshoot continuous internet performance issues

Hi  thanks for the reply..smart setup is already disabled as I saw that this could cause issues.. so not that

0 Ratings