cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stephen-P
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

iPhone 5 won't hold a connection to BT

I've been having problems with my wifi connecting with my iPhone since I got it in mid June last year. I've tried everything in the book to get it to connect to my home wifi but it doesn't seem to be working. It's definitely not the phone itself because it connects to other wifi connections perfectly. I've tried forgetting the connection, renewing the lease, resetting the internet settings, factory resetting the phone entirely, changing the channel in the wireless configuration... but there has been no change. The wireless connection connects briefly but when I would try to watch a video online or go on Facebook on my phone it disconnects and when I try to reconnect it, a pop-up message appears saying that I cannot connect to my homehub. Does anyone have any clue as to how to fix it? I'm considering switching providers at this rate!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
wedd1ng528
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: iPhone 5 won't hold a connection to BT

Hi Stephen-P. I would not think that it is the BT wi-fi that is at fault; rather it is likely to be a problem with your router or even a very weak wi-fi signal from the router. To try to help you there are a good few experts on this forum but they will, I'm sure, need to know more about your network set-up. eg What router are you using? How far away from your router are you when you cannot maintain a connection?

I have a 5th gen I-pod touch and have never had a problem connecting to all manner of wi-fi links PROVIDING the signal strength is good enough.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Try a factory reset of the homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. While the homehub is resetting, "forget" the connections to it that are on your phone and restart the phone.

Once everything has restarted scan for your homehub SSid, it will be something like Homehub4-abcd. Select it and enter the wireless passkey that is on the label on the homehub. It is not the admin password or your email password.

Highlighted
Stephen-P
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Hi thanks for the replies, it's definitely not a problem with the distance, I had an older iPone befor and it worked absolutely fine in my room which is at most 20 feet away, the wifi connection is never less than two bars and I have literally sat beside the router (BT Homehub 3) for twenty minutes and it has continuely disconnected despite distance. The iPhone itself is perfectly capable of connecting with any other type of wifi, even other BT homehubs, without any problems. It seems that it is only my own Wifi that is causing a hitch!

0 Ratings
Stephen-P
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

I've tried factory resetting it and still no result. It connected for slightly longer but no luck still.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Do you have any other wireless devices that connect to your homehub? Do they drop out or stay connected OK. It could be a faulty Homehub.

0 Ratings
wedd1ng528
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 8

Do you have any other wireless equipment that has remained connected to the wi-fi without any problems, for instance a desktop or laptop? If you have and they or it are not giving any problems then it looks to me as thought the problem lies with your new I-Phone.

If you don't have any other wireless equipment can you borrow such a thing (or even a different mobile phone would do) and see if that connects OK. If it does then the balance would swing even more towards the i-phone being faulty.

If you experience the same problem with other equipment then the guilty party looks more likely to be that the home hub has developed a problem. If this is the case then I believe BT are contractually obliged to replace it (assuming you have a conract with BT to supply your broadband).

Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
0 Ratings
wedd1ng528
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 8

Sorry gg30340 our posts crossed.

0 Ratings