Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
lewsuth
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

iPhone's are constantly dropping connection on BT Home Hub 5

Hi, just thought i'd send a post here before parting with £100+ on a new router.

Basically, I have BT Infinity with Home Hub 5. For some reason, the iPhones in the house are constantly dropping connection, to the point where I turn off wifi on the phone and my 4g loads up whatever i'm viewing instantly. It happens when i'm looking through instagram, facebook, on youtube and browsing. When I say drops connection, there's still all 3 wifi bands on the phone, but nothing loads. It probably lasts for 15-20 seconds and then it'll start working again.

If anyone could help it would be most appreciated.

I have tried changing the settings to the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz so they're seperate (with different SSID names), but then that messed up my BT wifi extender as in I would have to change which wifi I was on for a better signal which was quite annoying. It also didn't really improve anything doing this.

Any help here would be most appreciated. As said, i'm going to buy a Netgear router if I can't get to them bottom of this as i'm spending £40 a month for broadband and it doesn't even work correctly. Thanks alot.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: iPhone's are constantly dropping connection on BT Home Hub 5

Have you made sure you have "smart setup" turned off on the Homehub. See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/443​28/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-h...

0 Ratings
lewsuth
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

Hi, thanks for your reply. I didn't realise I needed Smart Setup turning off. I can try that though. Just out of curiousity why would this cause the iPhones to lose connection?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

It tries to load a webpage from BT telling you what services are available to you from BT. It is obtrusive and should not be enabled by default.

0 Ratings
lewsuth
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

The iPhones have been connected to Wifi for months though and the web page no longer appears... I just don't see how turning that off, will fix the problem of the connection dropping when browsing social media and web pages. Thanks for trying to help but I don't see how turning that off is going to make a difference.

Still, i'll give it a try though.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

You never said in your first post that you have been connected for months, so it may be the case that it won't help.

0 Ratings
lewsuth
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

Apologies, I should've said i've had this issue for the past 12 months.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

My advice would be to seperate the two frequencies again. Give the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies different SSids. Just add a 5 to the end of the 5Ghz SSid so you know which is which. Check the 5 GHz Sync with 2.4 GHz: is set to NO.

Once you have done that "forget" the connection on your iPhones and then restart the phone and log onto both the SSids. You need to log on any other devices to both SSids that can use both frequencies.

Provided your devices are have been logged onto both SSids (assuming they can use both) they should swap automatically between the SSids when moving about your property.

As regards using the BTWifi extender, you could set that up manually and decide which of the SSids to use. You could try the 5GHz frequency first to see how you get on with that and if that is not very good or you have devices that can not use the 5GHz frequency, use the 2.4GHz frequency instead.

It may not be ideal but if it prevents your iPhone dropping out it may be worth doing.

See these links

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/~/i-have-problems-connecting-5ghz-and-dual-band...

http://www.shop.bt.com/content/uni2/documentation/9ww6/dual-band-wi-fi-extender-600-user-guide.pdf

0 Ratings
lewsuth
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

I'll give it ago and see how I get on! Thanks for your advice. Do you think if I did purchase a new router it would eliminate the problem? I've read a few reviews of one particular router where people have said it stopped the drop outs that HH5 gives.

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

I am not a fan of the Homehub5. I do recommend getting another VDSLmodem/router or combination of an Openreach modem and a third party router and using that. I can not guarantee it will solve your problems however I strongly suspect it will.  

One further thing to try if you split the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz is to set the wireless channels manually.

Try downloading and running inSSider. This will show you the wireless channels that your Homehub/router is transmitting on as well as the surrounding networks. You want to take a note of the channels in use and change your Homehub onto a channel that is not being used.

See Link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14094/~/how-do-i-change-the-wireless-channel-on-my-bt...

See link for inSSIDer

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

0 Ratings