Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikef
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 13

iPhones not connecting to Wifi?

HI,

I Have Halo/Complete Wifi...and in the last week the iPhones in my house have started to have problems connecting to the wifi.

They can see my wifi service, but when I try to connect they just give me the whirling circle of doom....sometimes they connect then drop the signal again.

I've had Halo since last summer, with no problems up to now.

Other devices in the house, including an Apple TV, have no connectivity problems, and my phone has no issues connecting to the wifi at work.  

Has anyone else come across this?   Any thoughts?

cheers

Mike

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Stu_H
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: iPhones not connecting to Wifi?

Clear the iPhones log in details and rejoin the WiFi network.  Make sure access control is off on the router if it has that as iPhones MAC address changes. They don’t recommend access control for their equipment.

I take it you have rebooted the iPhone too.

0 Ratings
mikef
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 13

HI,

cheers...steps taken so far:

- rebooted iphone(s)

- forgot the wifi and rejoined

- switched to airplane mode and back again

- turned hub off and on again

no success I am afraid.   My phone holds the wifi in work perfectly.

I haven't logged into admin on the hub to make changes at all....I can look at that tonight for the Access Control option that you mentioned.

Other devices at home, including an Apple TV, all work perfectly.   

I did a little looking nline, and there are comments about having different names for different channels on the router to prevent clashes....not sure which things are applicable to my Halo Hub (smart hub 2?) though.

I can't think what has changed in the last week to start this happening

thanks!

mike

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

0 Ratings
mikef
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 13

Thanks, I'll try those when I get home this evening.   

I haven't made any changes to the hub, so hoping that a factory reset will help but not mess up anything else!!

cheers

mike

0 Ratings
Stu_H
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 13

You should not need to separate the names, all my Apple devices are fine and I’m running a router and 2 extenders with one name and smart connect on Netgear stuff. 
I don’t know if BT use smart connect where the router decides what device goes where but that can be a bit iffy but it should be fine.

If the BT hub can create a guest network that’s a good way to see if one name WiFi is playing up.

Also and again I don’t have BT hubs is auto update setting. It’s a pain as you never know what’s going on and it’s best to update manually and then reset afterwards to clear low level stuff. It just depends on how fussy you are on your home but I prefer other equipment that offers better network security and flexibility.

0 Ratings
mikef
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 13

cheers all...I'll try the reset stuff this evening....I think the Factory Reset keeps the wifi password and admin password that the hub came with (I never changed them...)...and do I need to connect to the hub via ethernet from a laptop to open up admin?

thanks in advance

m

0 Ratings
mikef
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 13

HI, I havent done any of the steps above as the wifi worked perfectly last night...however this morning neither my phone nor my laptop can connect to the internet.  "Connected, no Internet...".

However, my BT TV box, connected by ethernet, can stream the  BT Sports channels with no problem.

Are there mods on here who can put me in touch with an engineer?

cheers

mike

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

Visits are only made if there is a fault with the broadband, which in your case, is fine.

All you have is a wireless connection issue, for which BT cannot solve, which is why you have been given some suggestions by forum members.

0 Ratings
Stu_H
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 13

Connected but no internet could be a roaming issue. 
turn off all your other extenders apart from the router and see what happens. 
if you find you have a stable connection and no drop outs it’s pointing to an issue with the extenders.

0 Ratings