cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjb
Message 1 of 12

increase in usage query

I have been on option one for ever and have never gone over my usage allowance (10gb), now all of a sudden it has shot up. 27gb in august, 43 gb in sept and already on 9.1gb for october. Nothing has changed at my end- no one games on line, downloads music or film etc or has increased internet usage. In fact we wouldnt know where to start. Rang BT. Their answer was to just up grade as they couldnt tell me what was being downloaded. But I dont want to but also cant afford the additional £33 they have wacked on to my bill for exceeding the allowance. Can any 'normal' person give me advice on how to look into this bearing in mind Im a novice with computers. thanks

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 12

Re: increase in usage query

@mjb wrote:

I have been on option one for ever and have never gone over my usage allowance (10gb), now all of a sudden it has shot up. 27gb in august, 43 gb in sept and already on 9.1gb for october. Nothing has changed at my end- no one games on line, downloads music or film etc or has increased internet usage. In fact we wouldnt know where to start. Rang BT. Their answer was to just up grade as they couldnt tell me what was being downloaded. But I dont want to but also cant afford the additional £33 they have wacked on to my bill for exceeding the allowance. Can any 'normal' person give me advice on how to look into this bearing in mind Im a novice with computers. thanks

Hi.

Hope you don't mind a few questions.

Do you use wireless ? How many computers are connected to your network ?

What anti-virus or other security package do you have installed on the computers ?

For the usage for October, did you check with the online checker now available ? If so - you might like to check daily for a bit to see what figures are showing.

0 Ratings
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 12

http://www.bwmonitor.com/   this is a PC based monitor which will give real time info on usage but only for the PC it is installed on so if you have more than 1 install on each one

Its free for 30 days and is very accurate its icon sits in the tray and you can see what is happening all the times compare it each day with BTs monitor any large difference would indicate  Virus or insecure wifi being used unknown to you

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 12

@hamish72 wrote:

http://www.bwmonitor.com/   this is a PC based monitor which will give real time info on usage but only for the PC it is installed on so if you have more than 1 install on each one

Its free for 30 days and is very accurate its icon sits in the tray and you can see what is happening all the times compare it each day with BTs monitor any large difference would indicate  Virus or insecure wifi being used unknown to you

To be frank, better free ones include Networx and Netlimeter 2 - no need for trials

0 Ratings
mjb
Message 5 of 12

Thanks for your reply. sorry im a bit behind in replying. I do use wireless and have a laptop and main pc connected to it. The laptop has AVG security (not the free one) and the pc has norton via btnetprotect. both regulary do virus scans and havent shown any problems. When I called bt they told me about the checker on mybt which I have checked. It was 8gb on friday and 9.7 by monday. Seems quite alot to me. What do you think is going on?

0 Ratings
gobbybobby
Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Could be anything. Do you have your Computers on all day? Is your wifi network secure, if you have a home hub it will be. Sites such as BBC Iplayer are bandwidth hogs, as are youtube and anything playing video. But not upwards of 50 gigs! 8 gig - 9.7 gig, thats not that much really, I mean I downloaded a 1 gig TV program yesterday, you sure people in your house not watching TV online? That said, for the month I used 5 gig, 20 last month, on this PC anyway, (4 others, a PS3 and 360 in this house)

I use TBM From think broadband, its pretty good. Google the broadband meter. If you have more than 1 PC you would have to install it on all of em, but then at least you can see which PC is being a bandwidth hog!

I am no expert. Correct me when I am wrong. Learning is good!
0 Ratings
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 12

@Andy_N wrote:

@hamish72 wrote:

To be frank, better free ones include Networx and Netlimeter 2 - no need for trials

I suggested the one I have used and know to be good and as its just for a comparison thought trial no problem and better is of course subjective Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 12

@mjb wrote:

Thanks for your reply. sorry im a bit behind in replying. I do use wireless and have a laptop and main pc connected to it. The laptop has AVG security (not the free one) and the pc has norton via btnetprotect. both regulary do virus scans and havent shown any problems. When I called bt they told me about the checker on mybt which I have checked. It was 8gb on friday and 9.7 by monday. Seems quite alot to me. What do you think is going on?

Hi again.

You do need to find out what is being used. To be honest, 1.7GB isn't really a lot over a couple of days - but does depend on actual use. As mentioned, these things like iPlayer/youtube can use a lot. Do you use spotify ?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Along with all you other guys....... I'm getting regular emails from BT warning me about usage. I have the 10gb option and seem to regularly tip over it... My son plays various games on-line with his playstation... would this have much of a bearing on usage? Otherwise we tend not to download movies, or even much audio..... 

Seriously considering changing my supplier!

0 Ratings
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 12

I would reckon on about    15 hours a week with some games doing your 10 Gig in a month but depends a lot on the game 

0 Ratings