Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jenfa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

increasing infinity wireless coverage using a HH2

Hi

I live in a wide brick internal walled property and when my infinity was installed it was put into my study which is one end of my house, the problem is that I can't receive a signal at the other end which is really frustrating.  I have looked at powerline plugs but had almost decided on a netgear wireless extender, however, I have found my old HH2 and also a HH1 and wondered whether I could use one of these to help me.  To be honest if I could it would both save me some money and also recycle the equipment.

I am not that computer literate, I need to say this as when I have searched this topic on here before there is lots of technical jargon which means nothing to me and I am sure others too.

Any help gratefully received.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Stuey3d
Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: increasing infinity wireless coverage using a HH2

You can use both at the same time if you want but the homehub 2 is much easier to set up as the version 1 needs firmware flashing etc.

I shall run through how to set up a homehub 2 as a wireless repeater.

1. Connect to the homehub 2 via ethernet and go to 192.168.1.254 make sure wifi is disabled as we dont want you accidently connected to the master hub and changing its settings by accident.

2. goto settings - advanced settings - port forwarding - Firewall - Disable - apply

3. goto settings - advanced settings - port forwarding - upnp - disable - apply

4. goto settings - advanced settings - home network - ip addresses and in the IP address box type 192.168.1.10 (works well for me) and then DHCP server set to no or disabled then hit apply. DO NOT HIT APPLY UNTIL YOU HAVE DONE BOTH STEPS HERE or you could loose connection and it will be hard to get back if you are not computer literate.

5. Now unplug computer from ethernet and plug the homehub 2 into the main homehub via long ethernet or powerline adapters.

As an optional measure but reccomend that you do on both homehubs goto

settings - advanced settings - wireless -  and change the SSID (wireless name) and password on both hubs so they are the same and make sure the password types are the same ie: wpa/wpa2, then your devices will just connect to the strongest signal. To get to the HomeHub 2 set up page now just type in the address bar of your browser the IP address you entered in step 4. Master hub will be 192.168.1.254 as before

The reason you disble the firewall and upnp are to let the master hub handle these, you can leave them enabled but could potentially cause problems with devices finding each other on the network, i have never personally had that problem but just disable them anyway.

For DHCP server only the Master hub can do this and therefore must be disabled on each homehub you connect as a repeater, otherwise devices will connect to the repeater hub but not gain access to the internet and other devices from the master hub

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 7

Powerline plugs are the simplest but most expensive. The range extender will work too.

To use the old router as an access point, you would have to connect it to the Homehub 3 using an ethernet cable, either a long cable directly from the Homehub3 or using the Powerline plugs.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Stuey3d
Expert
Message 4 of 7

a decent set of homeplugs can be had for £30 which will be easier, but if you are handy with the DIY and can drill and run long ethernet cables then you can get a cat 6 in long lengths cheap and it will be faster and less prone to interference which could potentially reduce your speed. Make sure its a cat 6 cable as they are only a few pence more than cat 5 and cat 5e but will susatian higher speeds over longer disatances upto 100 meters for a gigabit signal.

0 Ratings
jenfa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Wow thank you for such a detailed explanation, I was hoping not to have to cable as we have redecorated and replastered everywhere, even had a wireless burglar alarm put in to stop cables being everywhere!

My husband is exceptionally handy on the DIY front but give him a computer or anything electronic and his minds shuts down, so I do really appreciate your responses.

0 Ratings
Stuey3d
Expert
Message 6 of 7

Then i reccomend a pair of TP link PA411 or ZyXel Pla4201 powerline adapters both are the latest homeplug standard and a pair can be had for around £30.

Follow the instructions i posted above and then plug one in next to the master hub and connect it to the hub via ethernet and then plug the other in wherever you have a wireless deadspot and then plug the now slave homehub 2 into that via ethernet.

You may or may not notice a speed decrease when connected to the HomeHub 2 using these plugs it all depends on how good the house wiring is, but if they have a good connection then they wont have a problem in handling the full speed of the 80/20 infinity 2 package.

0 Ratings
Stuey3d
Expert
Message 7 of 7

here is a link to the TP link Homeplug adapters on the BT store these are what you will need.

http://www.shop.bt.com/products/tp-link-av500-mini-powerline-adapter-starter-kit-849M.html
0 Ratings