cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fenouillard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

increasing the no of router ports

I connected a Netgear switch GS205 to my Home Hub 3 to increase the no of ports. I am now getting a message on an app that I want to connect saying the network is unstable. Any suggestions to rectify this?

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: increasing the no of router ports

@Fenouillard 

Have you made sure that only one port of the home hub is connected to the switch?

Which app is giving you the error?

Its possible you may have accidentally created an Ethernet loop. This can happen if you have a device which is bridging LAN and wireless connections together.

0 Ratings
Fenouillard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Hi Kate

yes only one port is connected to the switch. The app that is sending me the message is HIK Connect for CCTV

0 Ratings
Fenouillard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 20

Hi Keith 

Thanks. Wry much for your response. I’m not clear about the concept of an Ethernet loop. The CCTV has a receiver in my loft. It is connected via  a TP Link to a second TP Link connected to my router. Im getting a message that the app is offline and that the network is unstable. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 20

By TP Link, do you mean TP Link powerline adapters?

If so, do you have any other powerline adapters in use as well?

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 20

The GS205 is a good unmanaged device and I very much doubt that it is the cause of the problem.

If I interpret your last post correctly, you have 2 x TP link routers connected over their ethernet ports? if this is true then the most likely cause of your problem is that you have 2 x DHCP servers running on the network running the risk of IP Address clashes, you need to disable (turn off) one of them

0 Ratings
Fenouillard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 20

Hi Keith

yes I have two powerline adaptors to take my signal from the first floor office down to the sitting room for my TV

0 Ratings
Fenouillard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 20

Thanks V Meldrew

as I’m not very technical what are DHCP servers? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 20

@Fenouillard wrote:

Hi Keith

yes I have two powerline adaptors to take my signal from the first floor office down to the sitting room for my TV

That could be the issue. You must only ever have one powerline adapter connected to the home hub, any other ones must be paired from that single one, as shown on this page.

Important - Using powerline adapters or broadband extenders

That would also apply to any connections to the Ethernet switch, so only one master powerline adapter on your network.

Your CCTV link would come back to that same master unit.

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 20

DHCP  (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) server is the thing built into your router which allocates IP addresses to your devices.

Just like a postman needs your postal address to deliver your letters, so a router needs to know where to find your PC, Mobile etc. Each IP address is unique to each device but if you have two DHCP servers running then you run the risk of duplication.  

0 Ratings