Message 11 of 20

Re: increasing the no of router ports

Many thanks Keith. This is really helpful

0 Ratings
Fenouillard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 20

Thanks V Meldrew I understand the principle now. The challenge is going to be to work out how to put it together on the ground

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 20

Before we get into the details of disabling a DHCP server could you confirm if you are using two routers as I described earlier or are you using powerline converters as understood by @Keith_Beddoe .

If you are using powerline converters  then the DHCP server concern is irrelevant. 

0 Ratings
Fenouillard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 20

Here is my set up. I have BT Infinity broadbands provided by a BT Home Hub 3 with 5 ports supporting a pc, monitor and printer. I have only one wall socket which holds a powerline adapter plugged into the original router and a paired adaptor on the floor below to connect my BT box, to allow me to access my broadband on my TV. I have a tower adapter for all the other plugs, plugged into the powerline  adapter. As I know I shall need more ports because I want to install Hive and Boiler IQ I plugged in a Netgear switch with 5 ports.

I wanted to use the remaining port on my original router to support the CCTV. As I said this has a TP Link plugged into the port and the tower and paired with another TP Link to the CCTV receiver in the loft. This is the piece of the set up which isn’t functioning, as no data is passing. 
As I am 70 and have cancer I’m finding it difficult to figure out what to do, so thanks so much for all your help

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 20

That is the problem, you cannot have two paired sets of powerline adapters as I explained on the link I posted.

Just leave a single one plugged into the home hub, and then pair all the other units to that single powerline adapter, you do not need to set up separate links, as the are all on the same network, and will be able to communicate with each other if they are of the same type.

What powerline adapters are you using to connect the  home hub to the TV?

Whichever ones you are using, all you need is simply one additional unit of the same type, to connect to your CCTV?

If you are using the BT Mini connectors to link your home hub to the TV, then all you would need is another single mini connector connected to the CCTV.

Its that extra pair of adapters which is making the network unstable, as you cannot have two different adapters running on the same mains wiring.

0 Ratings
Fenouillard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 20

Many thanks for this Keith. I see the sense in this. I’m using Simpler Network powerline adaptors for the BT box, as these came from BT with the box. When I pair a further one for the CCTV do I press the adaptor attached to the router followed by the new adaptor for the CCTV? Doing it this way will not affect the other adaptor leading to my BT box will it?  I just don’t want to foul up my access to the BT box. Thanks again for your help. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 20

You would have to obtain another Simpler Network powerline adapter, as you cannot pair the TP Link ones with them, as they use a different standard.

See this guide for adding another Simpler Network adapter.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35414

The problem may be obtaining another adapter, but there seems to be plenty available via a certain auction site.

You may have to buy a pair of them, and keep one as a spare, or to connect to another room if needed. Follow the instructions in the guide to add the extra one, it should not affect the existing ones that are in use.

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 20

You can buy a pack of 3 power line converters, already setup to work with one another, from a major online retailer for around £50 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 20

@V_Meldrew wrote:

You can buy a pack of 3 power line converters, already setup to work with one another, from a major online retailer for around £50 

Not all support multicast, which is required for BT subscription channels.

0 Ratings
Fenouillard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 20

Hi Keith and V Meldrew

Thank you both. You have been so helpful. And thanks Keith for the user guide for the adaptors. This is exactly what I need. 

0 Ratings