cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 36

Re: ipv6 on archer c7

Hopefully  @TimCurtis  will be along to confirm ASUS functionality. I'm not familiar enough with IPv6 to know if BT could have made changes that mean it only works with Home Hubs but I would be extremely surprised if (a) Its even possible (b) BT would implement it if it was.

I'm sure there would be many posts about IPv6 not working on third party routers if changes had been made.

0 Ratings
john9411
Contributor
Message 22 of 36

Hmm! Agree with what you say but am still having doubts as to what might or might not work.

I see on another forum that @TimCurtis has an Asus DSL-AC68U which was working OK earlier in the month which makes me wonder why ASUS support say 'no guarantees'.

Two things come to mind

1 Could combined modem/router actually work in a different way to separate equipment?

2 Could different customers have different line spec from BT dependent upon where geographically they are what type of connection they have (e.g. FTTP or FTTC)?

I would have thought that neither of these is likely but who knows!!!

I suspect that I may have to either just stick with IPv4 (not ideal), stick with BT Hub (even less ideal) or just gamble on ASUS.

0 Ratings
PinkSquirrel
Contributor
Message 23 of 36

Well tp-link has confirmed the same problem with my Archer VR900 this morning. Ipv6 was working on it when it was purchased but hasn't been for some time. There has been no new firmware for the router so I don't think anything in that has changed. It was seeing this thread that prompted me to log a support call too.

Like you I'm surprised more people haven't reported a problem as tp-link routers have often been recommended on this forum and elsewhere as replacements for BT equipment. I wonder if it's because most people aren't actively relying on ipv6 for anything specific and haven't checked that it's still actually working. It would be great if people could check and report back either way on here. Thank you in advance!

Also I wonder if a moderator could get a response for us as to whether BT's ipv6 implementation has changed in any way that would make it incompatible with third party routers?  BT are selling tp-link routers as ipv6 compatible when they might actually not be with the BT network.

0 Ratings
Dode
Expert
Message 24 of 36

My TPLink Archer VR400 Modem Router is working OK with ipv6. On the odd occasion when it or I do a restart it  loses ipv6 but simple Save in the settings and it's OK again.

john9411
Contributor
Message 25 of 36

The other thought I have has is that for those whose 3rd party router is working IPv6 OK is that router 'behind' a BT Hub working modem only?

According to TP-Link this would work with the C7 and others.

Agreed we need something from mods as to what, if anything, has changed.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 36

The hub doesn't have a modem only mode and if it did it wouldn't have IPv6 (or IPv4 for that matter) capability as that is a router function not a modem function. What they mean is using 2 routers with the Hub as the first connected router.

I have asked the mods if they can comment but might take some time for them to get any information from the Network people.

0 Ratings
john9411
Contributor
Message 27 of 36

Oops -senior moment as realised that when trying to get an old router working behind hub some time ago!

In the Hub>router configuration my understanding is that any guest network set up on 3rd party router behind hub would still allow access to rest of network so, for me, as I need network sharing on my network clients, Hub>router is a non starter for a permanent fix.

With regard to BT selling 3rd party routers that will not work IPv6 on BT's network their argument is that they are just a retailer selling equipment (as per ebuyer etc.). Having said that it would be helpful, as they are part of the BT family, if they, at least, had a disclaimer to cover potential IPv6 issues.

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 28 of 36

Good morning everyone,

Thank you for all the comments in relation to getting IPV6 to work on third party routers.  I am sorry that for some of you this is proving difficult.

I have highlighted your comments to the team that work on IPV6, they have confirmed that BT have not made any changes to the implementation of IPV6.  They are however curious to try and better understand what is causing the problem.

They would like to work with one of you guys, you is currently experiencing this issue.  I appreciate that there are quite a few comments which indicate you are experiencing the problem but for the time being we would appreciate  one volunteer to help us look into this.

If you are interested please reply to my post and I will reach out to you privately to get your details.

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
PinkSquirrel
Contributor
Message 29 of 36

Very happy to help with the investigation.

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 30 of 36

Hi @PinkSquirrel,

Welcome back to the Community.  That is excellent thank you so much for your support with this.

I will drop you a private message shortly requesting a few details.  Once I get these I will share this with our IPV6 guys and perhaps we can find out what is going on.

For everyone else on the thread, rest assured I will share any findings of the investigation with everyone, once we know more.

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings