Liam_
Expert
Message 11 of 15

Re: ipv6

Hubs 4 and 5 apparently will have IPv6 properly enabled 'early in 2017'.  So it's a wait and see.  Some reports of Hub5s showing v6 enabled then it disappears again.  So firmware fix is required I'd imagine.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 15

Re: ipv6

@planetf1 wrote:

I'm on a HH5a & didn't have IPv6 enabled. Just rebooted the hub, no difference. I've never seen IPV6 sadly 😞 😞 😞

So are BT saying everyone/all lines SHOULD have access to it now? (in which case I'll raise a problem about it?)

No. BT are saying that most lines are enabled for IPv6, as is the Hub 6, but the HH5 etc., will be enabled next year. See All BT Broadband Lines Now Support IPv6 Internet Addresses over at ISP review for details.

0 Ratings
BIRTEJ
Beginner
Message 13 of 15

Any more news about BT's infinity/IPv6 vapourware?

I have just tried to chase BT to find out why my Smart Hub 6 still does not have IPv^ and eventually (after I objected to being referred to their chargeable "Tech Experts") I was told that it still is not available and there still is no availability date.

What are they playing at?

0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 14 of 15

Re: Any more news about BT's infinity/IPv6 vapourware?

Perhaps you should get back to whomever told you that and let them know that they are severely misinformed.

There are currently over 1.6 million BT customers actively using IPv6, each and every day, as publicly available measurements show to anyone who cares to look.  And it's been in use since October 2016, having 400 thousand BT users back then and steadily growing to 1.6 million now.

That's a very odd form of "not available". 😛

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 15

Re: Any more news about BT's infinity/IPv6 vapourware?

That's anybody's guess, but BT seem to have put the IPv6 deployment on hold.

There was a statement (see here) on 03-March-2017 where one of the forum moderators, @DanielS, stated that the Hub 6 had some IPv6 issues, but no date for a fix.

The analysis that @MorgaineD is undertaking and posting to BT IPv6 users about to hit 1 million shows a halt, and even decline, in the number of BT IPv6 users so backing up the above statement and other reports on this forum. See the latest numbers in the post here.

The IPv6 operation on the upstream network infrastructure doesn't seem to be affected in any way as those of us using third party routers with IPv6 support haven't seen any issues

EDIT: This was the statement from Neil McRae, BT Chief Architect, at the UK IPv6 Council meeting from 31 October 2016:

• Network rollout was completed October 2016
    • All BT Broadband lines support IPv6 with a compatible router, except IPstream connections
    • Supported by the new BT Smart Hub today (the one with the fantastic wifi!)
  • Home Hubs 4 and 5 support from early 2017.

You can watch the presentation hosted on the IET TV site here and download the presentation here

Regards

0 Ratings