Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
TRrift
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 54

lag spikes

I have been a BT customer for a while now (6+ years) and its been lightning fast, but recently in the last month or so its gone down hill. We pay for 60 up and 15 or so down, we currently get 40 down which ,although isnt what we pay for, it gets the job done. Im a huge gamer I play alot of pc games so i notice when the internet itsn right and recently I've been getting terrible lag spikes and idk why. It ussually happens at random points in the day but the one thing I have noticed is that the later in the day it is then the more often and worse the lag spikes are. We cantacted BT recently and they said its all ok to us on the phone but later told us that infact they had found an issue and it was 'fixed'. I thought that would be the end of it but no. I've tried almost everything imaginalbe to fix it and Im lost as to where to go next. any help at all woudl be greatly appreciated. 
-My pc is connected via a ethernet powerline adapter
-There hasnt been an increase in the number of devices using it 

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
53 REPLIES 53
JoshThomas
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 54

Re: lag spikes

Are you getting lag spikes when anybody else in the house is watching a streaming platform? eg Netflix, Prime, NowTV?

0 Ratings
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 54

You're not the only one that's suffering with this, there's another thread in the forums on this subject.

0 Ratings
TRrift
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 54

yes i get it when other people are on but also when its just me on 

0 Ratings
TRrift
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 54

plz can u link that thread 🙂

0 Ratings
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 54

0 Ratings
TRrift
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 54

quick update i think i have found the issue but im not a tech expert i ran some test and found this: these are normal pig rates https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/276388835552919562/589916890986577938/unknown.png 
but then this happens it always seems to be at the 2nd or 3rd hop also notice that the 3rd hop has 85% packet loss so would this help BT and also im pretty sure that they are but arent the first 3 IPs / HOPs local to me? also sometimes it lags at the 3rd hop aswell  but sometimes when it lags it seems to skip the 3rd hop 3rd hop lag.JPGhop bug.JPGhops issue.JPG

0 Ratings
TRrift
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 54

when i test my ping to  a CS:GO server at the 3rd hop there is 100% packet loss !!!! 100% packet loss.JPG

0 Ratings
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 54

It's best to not read too much into the stats for each hop, tracert which is basically what ping plotter is using isn't reliable for timings, it can help for a bit of detective work  and is definitely useful for displaying the hops. So for example your packet loss stat I bet wouldn't be seen at the destination IP address. Just use a standard DOS prompt and ping your destination IP address with a '-t' at the end to keep your ping going, if you've got packet loss then you'll see ' request timed out' or 'no response' lines.

But if you do have packet loss that will definitely cause all sorts of problems, for gaming that would be really bad.

The first hop will be your PC to your router / hub, the 2nd hop is either at the road side cabinet or local telephone exchange, 3rd will be the BT IP network, most likely down london.

What I found was the ping spikes were happening very early in the routing, seeing as you'll most likely not be able to ping the 172 address it becomes really hard to know if it's a cabinet to exchange problem, exchange to BT IP network problem or at what point in the BT routing is causing the problem. My theory is it's the 31 addresses / routers that are either over loaded with traffic and are buffering packets or the core network is overloaded and the 31 switches are waiting for capacity aka a flow control setup, which is common problem with network switching i.e. too many ports all funnelled down a single port. This is just the same for LAN level switching, lets say you've got 8x1Gbs ports all trying to upload at 1Gbs, all routing vla 1x1Gb port,  what do you do with 7 of the 8 ports that can't get all that traffic out the 1Gb port, you either drop packets or you tell the sender (flow control) to stop sending data.

0 Ratings
TRrift
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 54

we've tried almost everything now that we can do at our end, we also had a new hub sent to us , did nothing, and had an engineer come out which also had no impact

0 Ratings