cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TRrift
Contributor
Message 11 of 61

Re: lag spikes

UPDATE :  we have since spoken to BT the have said they would book an engineer when we spoke to them on Wednesday it is now Friday and we have had no text or email to confirm the booking, so we rung them and it turns there was no engineer booked, customer service at its finest!

0 Ratings
lolowalsh
Contributor
Message 12 of 61

Keep me updated please bro. I'm suffering from the exact issue random ping spikes at random times even without streaming anything. It's been 3 weeks now and I'm still having ping spikes, it makes games like FIFA unplayable and I don't want to play Overwatch because I don't want to ruin other players experience with this **bleep** connection I'm getting from BT. 

I regret wasting £50 on ps Plus where I can't even game online due to my **bleep** ping.

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Contributor
Message 13 of 61

Did you speak to them on Live chat by any chance? I'm having zero luck with those guys either. Also I suggest doing some pings every day and updating this thread with them.

0 Ratings
lolowalsh
Contributor
Message 14 of 61

The ping spikes slowed down a bit but I still cannot play even when someone plays a 480p video on YouTube . it's ridiculous that in 2019, I can't watch a 480p video and game at the same time. My ping goes over to 600 ms !!! 

0 Ratings
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 61

@lolowalsh So far every person with this problem on these forums has solved their ping problems by switching ISP. If you're not under contract with BT or close to the end that's what I'd do, personally I don't trust BT and I'll never renew any contract with them.

I may be the exception where I had the below problem solved by something that BT did, I noticed my route via the BT network changed one evening and the following day my connection was loads more responsive and my ping problems were gone.

From the below I'm pinging the Overwatch game server while skipping tracks on Tidal, the last bit of the graph I stopped skipping tracks and you can see my ping is low and stable. Tidal tends to stream at about 500KB/s so not a massive load when I have 6MB/s bandwidith.

intelNIC.png

0 Ratings
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 61

Exact same test below, same IP address, skipping tracks on Tidal, nothing changed at my end, same router, same PC, same LAN setup, so they can provide a good connection but clearly not for everyone.

Don't waste time with live chat, I did and got promised all sorts of fixes, engineer visits to my exchange and so on, when you ring up I can bet BT know nothing about what you agreed to on live chat. Ring up and complain, keep complaining, keep getting engineer visits, when BT get to the point of realizing they can't fix the problem and it's costing more in engineer visits they'll let you leave your contract with no fees - assuming you're under contract.

I'd also complain for Ofcom but I'd do it based on false advertising, they advertise "Perfect for streaming, gaming, watching and downloading in HD on multiple devices" which for many their connection isn't that. I did and got directed to the 'Advertising Standards Authority ', I lodged a complaint with them as well regarding BT advertising. I was about to move to social media and start contacting gaming and broadband websites but they fixed my connection. So yeah don't accept their 1980's level of fibre broadband, battle with BT until you get it fixed or move ISP.

recentTest.png

0 Ratings
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 61

I'm posting because I get annoyed by all the misinformation, I even contacted Zen internet about my ping problems and they said my ping was normal and what they'd expect to see under load, being a software engineer who deals with TCP/IP everyday I knew that was a load of rubbish.

So below is another test with my BT connection, streaming 2 youtube videos at 8K resolution, minimal effect on the ping to the Overwatch server. So this is what you should be able to do, don't let anyone tell you that your ping hitting 100's of ms while doing something minimal on your connection is ok or normal or acceptable.

2x8KVideos.png

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Contributor
Message 18 of 61

Do you mind if I use your OW server for ping tests? Think it's a bit more real world than pinging google every time even though it does show the same thing.

0 Ratings
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 61

I will also say the problem you've got and BT is that a engineer visit will not be able to fix this and the engineer will have no clue because they're trained to fix line problems to your house or problems with your hub or master socket. The problem is a BT infrastructure problem and that side of BT is not available to customers or the people that deal with customers. When you ring BT though try to get put through to the fault department, sometimes they'll understand the problem and might take things in  a different direction instead of just keep on booking engineer visits, which is likely to be completely pointless.

0 Ratings
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 61

It's not my Overwatch server, it's a public Overwatch server in Amsterdam, yes use it, keep things consistent.

Amsterdam know how to do networking, they won't notice a few pings.

0 Ratings