cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lolowalsh
Contributor
Message 21 of 61

Re: lag spikes

Thanks but my partner thinks that this issue will be present with other ISP's since they use open reach as well, so I don't know if this issue is present as well with Talktalk and Sky users, somebody confirm ?

I know Vrigin uses different infrastructure but unfortunately we don't have virgin available where I live. The max speed we can get in our village is 55 MB which should be more than enough to handle heavy internet usage.

0 Ratings
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 22 of 61

It all depends on where your problem is, for me I was 100% sure it wasn't my router or LAN setup or connection to the road side cabinet.

If you have some sort of problem in these areas causing ping spikes then switching ISP will make no difference.

I've yet to see anyone move away from BT with ping issues where their issues don't disappear, but as said you've got to be sure it's a problem beyond the road side cabinet.

I wouldn't use talktalk, their main aim is cheap internet, Sky is a good option and they don't use the BT infrastructure. Of course they will use the road side cabinet and local telephone exchange which is in effect owned by Openreach - not BT. Sky will use their own internet routing infrastructure which is where the problem is, on the assumption your problem is beyond the telephone exchange. 

0 Ratings
TRrift
Contributor
Message 23 of 61

i recored and save stuff everyday but i dont add it on here no point 
update: we spoke to BT they said that they saw an issue out side our house which i presume is at the 2nd hop / what im seeing and so they said it should be fixed by Thursday but at this point i have 0 faith in BT.

0 Ratings
TRrift
Contributor
Message 24 of 61

we did speak to fualt department and yes they were more switched on but just wanted to send us an engineer when they need to send someone to the IP / the box or exchange which is my 2nd hop 

0 Ratings
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 25 of 61

It's worth getting an engineer to check your line, for me I have a third party router which has excellent line stats, so I could see I was running error free and low noise, so I already knew the engineer wouldn't be able to find anything.

If your phone line is noisy and you're clocking up error counts then that could easily cause ping spikes, I did feel though the knee jerk reaction of the fault department is just to send an engineer out, especially when they have no clue of what the problem is.

As I did it's worth getting a demonstration of the problem setup that you can show the engineer, the engineer that I had changed the interleave depth on my line, this doubled my ping but still didn't solve my ping spikes, having a live view of the problem saved loads of time and pain. So the engineer put the interleave depth back to what it was which returned my ping instantly down to where it started from. That was the only setting he was able to get changed, beyond that he had no ideas of what he could do about it.

0 Ratings
TRrift
Contributor
Message 26 of 61

had an engineer out today he changed the 2 pairs that i connect to the box on my estate with which did nothing what i need to do is go through a different IP adress at my 2nd hop he said he would change something at the exchange it might have been the interleave but i cant remember yet it probably was so if he was to change that would that change the IP of my 2nd hop and if not does anybody know how can i change the IP that i go through on my 2nd hop ?

0 Ratings
TRrift
Contributor
Message 27 of 61

did u ever get it fixed or do u still have the issue

0 Ratings
lolowalsh
Contributor
Message 28 of 61

No today is way worst, I called this morning and they said to me they will be sending me their latest hub free of charge and report in 48 hrs if the issue is still there.

0 Ratings
TRrift
Contributor
Message 29 of 61

no @dubstepzombie did u ever get ur internet fixed?

0 Ratings
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 30 of 61

@TRrift  yes my connection was fixed, what I saw was my route changing through the BT core network, the following day my connection was totally different, snappy and no ping issues. I'm 100% convinced they added some capacity to the core network or edge switches and switched my connection - well most likely a complete area over to the new hardware.

As I've said already I made no changes to my end at all so either way it had to be something BT did, I had a complaint open with them at the time and they just closed it with no explanation. Seems it's probably too sensitive for BT to admit their network is just over loaded.

0 Ratings