cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fallingbadgers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

macOS and iOS defaulting to IPv6

As previously reported, macOS and iOS now prioritise IPv6, this seems to be causing problems with the SmartHub. iPads and MacBooks when their IPv4 lease expires then get an IPv6 connection but no IPv4 connection from the router. This leaves them unable To connect. There is a manual workaround - allocate a fixed IP address and use Google as your DNS provider. This works but seems overkill and requires some networking knowledge. 

Any idea when or if this will be fixed? 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: macOS and iOS defaulting to IPv6

What hub are you using and what firmware version is it running? It's possible either DHCP or DNS is no longer working on the hub. I've seen the DNS server pack up on the Smart Hub in the past so no Internet addresses could be resolved.

0 Ratings
fallingbadgers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Home Hub 6, other devices - Android, Windows - are fine which makes me suspect the recent changes to Apple's network stack. Running SG4B1000223E
0 Ratings
thomasmulhall
Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Oh this would be the reason why it happends to my iPad Pro. I had to select a fixed ip for the iPad then I put it back to it selecting the ip and it worked
0 Ratings
Highlighted
thomasmulhall
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

In the recent update to the home hub it seems that I doint need to do any of that. They switched ipv6 off on the router.
0 Ratings
thomasmulhall
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

The router just updated its self and now I have an IPv6 address.
0 Ratings
fallingbadgers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

They seem to be completing the rollout of IPv6 on the network which is good news in principle but is causing problems such as we are seeing
0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 11

Is there an option on iOS and MAC to disable IPv6?

0 Ratings
stevebrass
Expert
Message 9 of 11

In Mac OS go to network preferences, advanced and have a tinker with the IPV6 settings.

0 Ratings
fallingbadgers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

The problem is that lost all connectivity when I tried it so I backed off. Simpler to give it a hardcoded IP address for IP4 🙂
0 Ratings