cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zeebee
Message 1 of 7

master socket downstairs - upstairs another socket with 2 wires?

Hi, I'm new to the boards so forgive me if i get lost (no idea if i've chosen the right board here!)

i will be having infinity installed (option 2) bt hub 5 in 2 weeks, was supposed to be 2 days ago but hadn't fixed something at the cabinet so delayed until fixed

Now, from reading these forums, infinity must go into the master socket, and like 99% of home owners it's not in a good place
so when the OR guy comes, i want it moving to the upstairs bedroom replacing the already 'slave' socket there

i'm not very techie on these things, so here goes with the puzzle - the upstairs socket has 2 wires connected into it - which is odd - i thought only 1 wire went in from the master?

the reason may be because i have a large house, looking outside, one black wire goes down the wall into my master socket in the kitchen with open reach and filter, and another black wire outside goes into the hall, under the carpet and into this socket

Here is the actual socket opened up to show inside, showing two wires conncted to it - is this 'another master socket' (house was built 1975 and quite large so wondered if they did two main cables into house?)

would Open reach have a problem with it?

thx

upstairssocket.jpg

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: master socket downstairs - upstairs another socket with 2 wires?

I would leave it to the installer to sort it all out. They would have come across many different installations.

That socket you show, is an extension socket, not a master socket.

If you trace the cable from where it comes into the house, from the external network, then the first termination point, must be the master socket.

They will replace that with a SSFP, which has sockets for the Home Hub 5, and a phone.

Any extensions will only carry the phone, and not the broadband signal.

SSFP

newnte.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

as many installations are now self install are you sure you will get an engineer install?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Zeebee
Message 4 of 7

yes - definitely an open reach engineer will be coming - just annoying that they messed me around and i had to wait in all day - just for them to phone me at 5pm and say something 'on the line' isn't fixed or there - i think he just wanted to go home for tea LOL

so the next time to install is another 2 weeks yet!

unfortunately, i am on a dongle at the moment as my netscape router has decided to die, i didn't want to buy anything until infinity was set up, and with this been wireles, i am wondering if it's strong enough - although there will only be 2 pc's, a bit of streaming tv and 2 ipads that will connect - no gaming or other similar demands

i need it mainly for my online store and website - so i need it in the room i work from first - everything else is secondary

i am tempetd to plug it into my extension phone socket for the time - would it work with normal broadband if i set it up? - i gather it will be dismal speed?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

@Zeebee wrote:

i need it mainly for my online store and website - so i need it in the room i work from first - everything else is secondary

Remember, you are not allowed to use a BT residential service to run a business, as its against theT&Cs.

Is this residential or business broadband?

0 Ratings
Zeebee
Message 6 of 7

it's residential

the pc is upstairs in one of the bedrooms - but i do want to access my website from there, just like i would with the ipad and laptop

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

where you are using the internet or what devices you use is not the point as from your post you appear to be using a residential line to run a business

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings