cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Johnmorris278
Contributor
Message 1 of 15

more smart hub random reboots

I'm sorry if this is the wrong way to do this. I'm not very techy. And also quite old, but my BT smart hub has been exhibiting similar faults as described above for several months. Mostly it's fine, and I get something like 73 Mbps download. But every couple of weeks or so, the lights start doing a 'Blackpool'. Blue light goes off and then a sequence that I don't remember proceeds. Flashing purple, then, green, or is it orange then green, then orange flashing then orange, then back to blue. Holds blue for 1 to 4 minutes then goes back through the whole sequence again. Maybe 10 or more times. Eventually I get a connection again (blue). This stable state remains, until the next interlude, which may be 2 or 3 weeks away. 

Do do I have a faulty hub, as implied by other posts? If not what? And what can I do? the BT helpline is useless they just tell me to turn it off then on, then they do tests and say the line is okay. 

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: more smart hub random reboots

Hi @Johnmorris278 and thanks for posting.

I've moved your post so we can get some help with this. Have you checked for any noise on the line? You can do that by connecting a phone directly to the test socket and dialling 17070 option 2. Can you try that and let me know how you get on?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Johnmorris278
Contributor
Message 3 of 15

As I explained before, I'm not very techy. Test Socket. What's that?

Maybe I should explain my set up.

There is a wire coming from the pole outside, it goes into a little white box in the porch.

There is a single wire connected to that box, coming into the house proper and runs along a picture rail.

This wire was put in by OpenReach last year, when they said I had noise or something like that. The engineer showed me all sorts of measurements on his device, but it meant nothing to me. He said he'd fixed some corrosion in the green box at the end of the road.

Anyway this wire then goes into a big white box on the wall.

He also fitted that and said it was the latest version. It has OpenReach and Mk3 on it. It's a lot bigger than the previous one.

The router is plugged into the top socket. Below it is another unused socket.

There's another single wire coming out of the back of the Mk3 box that goes to my telephone socket, about 3 metres away.

Again the engineer fitted that, when he did the other wiring.

This second wire goes to a little white box, where I plug in my BT cordless phone with call blocking technology, to stop spam.

There are then 3 other cordless phonbes connnected to this base unit.

I have a single wire coming out of the hub/router (what's the difference?) that goes to my iMac. This is about 5 metres long. The iMac also seems to connect to the router's wifi signal as well.

There are several other wifi devices in use in the house - iphones ipads etc. and a humax television box.

Is the unused bottom socket on the Mk3 box the test socket?

Thanks for your help,

John

0 Ratings
Johnmorris278
Contributor
Message 4 of 15

Spoiler

I replied is morning. Did you receive it? Not being familiar with these things, I'm don't know how long things take to be answered. 

John

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

it can take the moderators 3/5 working days to reply personally they will take personal ownership of your problem and provide a single point of contact in the UK
0 Ratings
Johnmorris278
Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Thank you
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Hi @Johnmorris278 Sorry you are having difficulty identifying the test socket. Here is a Short Video that will help you test your connection in the main socket and I hope this helps you. 

Post back and let us know how you get on. 

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Johnmorris278
Contributor
Message 8 of 15

The video seems to show connecting a hub not a telephone. I don't need filters, the OpenReach engineer told me this last year when he installed the cable and box.

So do I just connect my phone to the socket on the front and don't need to dismantle the box, as per the second example in the video?

It's all a bit complicated, and I'll have to stand on a ladder to do it. Don't fancy that. I'm old with a dodgy knee.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

Hi @Johnmorris278 Thanks for posting back.  

We will be happy to help you with this if you send us your details. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

Thanks
John

0 Ratings
Johnmorris278
Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Thank you. At this stage all I need to be told is that I plug my phone into the bottom socket on the Mk3 box. Then I can do the noise test you referred to earlier. The video seemed to be about connecting a hub, not a phone. I don't have any filter boxes.
0 Ratings