cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
randalljtr
Message 1 of 14

my IP address location is wrong city?

Is short is there anyway of fixing this - adverts and searches are always for the wrong city - EG google sponsored links/ adwords - wrong location?

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 14

Re: my IP address location is wrong city?

Short answer: No. I always show up as London even though I live on the South coast. It's just the point where my line ultimately connects to the internet. Systems that supposedly locate you by your IP address are never accurate, and people shouldn't be relying on them. Besides, I don't want every web site operator knowing where I live.
0 Ratings
john_crocker
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 14

Mine migrates around the country from Milton Keynes, to Manchester, Peterborough, Leeds... From what Yahoo says My PC plugged into my wall has been everywhere!! prehaps I have one of those 3 bedroom end of terrace mobile home things.. LOL

Seriously tho, ISP's buy "blocks" of IP Addresses and these are spread out across various nodes in the country. Since your IP is allocated dynamically from the "Block" when you connect. you can get an IP address which is apparently "based" anywhere. THe only accurate indication realisitcally in this case is by country, since blocks of IP Addresses are allocated to individual countries..

JC

0 Ratings
madtaz
Message 4 of 14

god i thought i was being hacked ! ive change my pword often plus email . but kept coming up current session london .

so why does it do that ? is it just to put the frighters on.

also on my fb account setting as list 4 different locations they said its my isp whats that ? isnt that my location thingy .

thanks confused totally x

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

Hi As has been posted ip profiles are bought in blocks by isps and they can be spread all over the UK

an ISP is the company that provides your broadband connection eg BT Talk Talk etc

every time you reconnect your router you will get a new ip address my best suggestion to you is just forget it and enjoy using the internet
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 14

@madtaz wrote:

god i thought i was being hacked ! ive change my pword often plus email . but kept coming up current session london .

so why does it do that ? is it just to put the frighters on.

also on my fb account setting as list 4 different locations they said its my isp whats that ? isnt that my location thingy .

thanks confused totally x

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

What is showing the location as wrong ? Is it Google ? If so - the auto detect system based on IP address will not work in the UK for BTBroadband dynamic access.

Other sites that say location based on IP address will equally be wrong, and can be ignored - e.g. FB

0 Ratings
01whylove
Message 7 of 14

HI,
The location of the IP will change constantly, because it is a dynamic ip .This dynamic ip are assigned to LAN and broad band connection.To avoid burden of assigning static address to each device on the network.This also allows many devices to share limited address space on a network.So the location may varies every time you are connected with the Internet.If you want to check the Location,country and internet service provider.You can use the site [url=http://www.ip-details.com/ip-search/]IP-Details.com[/url] .
0 Ratings
JB4161
Message 8 of 14

I have a similar problem to this. We have just had BT Infinity connected. We were on a BT Home Hub 3 before. Since the Hub 5 has been installed, my iPad apps- BBc Weather, Google maps and GPS maps all say they cannot track my location. They all worked Ok before this. I checked with a website that tells you your IP address and it came up in Cumbria (I'm in SW Wales). I tried doing a factory reset and it came up with the new IP address, but still in Cumbria. Is there any way to resolve this or do I just have to accept that the apps are not going to work using Location services now?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

0 Ratings
JB4161
Message 10 of 14

Hi, thanks for the quick response. I've tried clicking on both the links and I get the same message, ' Restricted access. you can only access this site through a BT internet connection'. But, I'm on a BT connection.

0 Ratings