cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

new to BT when using VPN really slows it down

I am new to BT from yesterday and have the 900mb service, when i do a speed test on my TV or computer i get almost 900MB and 100MB upload which on that is super,  but when i use my ExpressVPN this goes now to 100mb download with still 100MB upload, i have used ExpressVPN for over one year on two other providers and althought i lost a little speed using VPN this was betweeb 2 or 5 % loss only.

computer and TV and Shield all hotwired to the smart 2 hub

i have also tried using on my tablet and phone there without VPN i get 300 with VPN i get 100MB, this is with wifi

do any others use ExpressVPN and find a way to not loss so much speed,

i have turned off smart on the smart hub 2, tried changing protocols in my VPN with little to no change.

or can any one suggest a good VPN, hopefully one i can test for free, i am then happy to buy but want to know that it will work

any assistance would be great and thanks in advance.

if posted on wrong  page please suggest where to post

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: new to BT when using VPN really slows it down

Hi added NordVPN went from 100 to 140MB BUT still short of near to 900MB, must be something BT is doing or a setting i need to change
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

It has nothing to do with BT. It is the VPN contention ratio.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

What does that mean please, how can I get back good speeds with vpn
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Can somebody please explain this current fad for using a VPN when connected to their home network?

Message 6 of 12

@licquoricewrote:

Can somebody please explain this current fad for using a VPN when connected to their home network?

There probably getting blocked on a weekend using iptv so use vpn to beat it

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

@licquorice wrote:

It's probably because the AV companies were pushing their use when the pandemic started and people were working from home. Nothing to the AV companies seeing it as a great marketing opportunity to make lots of money, it was only in the interest of the customers...

Message 8 of 12

@licquorice it's mostly for accessing IPTV via dodgy TC boxes but some use vpn's for gaming or accessing American Netflix etc... They also use it to bypass parental controls etc... 90% of VPN use is for dubious activity... 

Message 9 of 12

@NigelB72 wrote:

@licquorice it's mostly for accessing IPTV via dodgy TC boxes but some use vpn's for gaming or accessing American Netflix etc... They also use it to bypass parental controls etc... 90% of VPN use is for dubious activity... 

Not a very secure VPN if they can work out what 90% is used for!

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

@gg30340 they're far from secure but do allow you to hide your I.P. address or spoof your country of origin which is the important thing for those that use them. Personally I actually pay for the content I access in the same way that I pay for goods in shops but a large majority think that they should be allowed to access sports, films, TV etc for free as it's viewed as a victimless crime.