cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DDay1970
Message 1 of 9

poor wifi after switch to smarthub 6

Hi,

I recently switched over to a new Smart Hub 6 having previously had the Hub 5 .  Prior to the change I had an average download speed of 25Mbps via my pc on a wireless connection.  The PC is in a different room to the router.  Before the change I was comfortable with the speed and whilst it tended to be somewhat slower during peak times and drop out ocassionally, it was very manageable and I was content.  The reason for changing was down to cost and when i explained I had received a better offer from a different supplier I was suddenly promised all the bells and whistles of superfast broadband, BT TV, BT Sport etc. I wasn't too bothered about having a significantly better speed (they promised to match the national average at about 67mbps, frankly I knew this was unlikely to be the case as I'm quite far from the exchange).

OK, that's the background as to my motive.  Since installing the new SmartHub 6 I have had serious problems connecting any device to the wifi in one room, which is my main room for working etc. I have tried phone, tablet and pc and the signal wavers between less than1 mbps and 12mbps on a good day, depending on time of day etc.  I've tried pretty much everything I can find so far, using a Wifi extender 1200 on 2.4gz. I've split the channels, changed the set channels, the wireless mode, I've deleted the DNS cashe on the pc, swapped out the cables connecting the router to the main box.  Yesterday I even had an engineer from Openreach test the lines.  The result of that suggests the speed from the exchange into the router is around 40mbps.  If in the same room as the router my mobile devices can get around 35mbps.  That's all great.  but in the main room the connection continually drops out, speed is erratic and all very unstable. 

I even had a second SmartHib 6 in case there was a fault with the first.  I've tried to test speeds with BT own speed check and they keep dropping out so I cannot get a reading of the speed coming off the router.

I know new lines can take time to steady down but its been 2 weeks now and no sign of any improvement.

Is there anything else I can try?  Would using a mesh network help? Totally exhausted after 2 weeks of little else but trying to sort this mess.  Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.

thanks,

DDay

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: poor wifi after switch to smarthub 6

why don't you just go back to the hh5 if that worked well for you?  I use a hh6 and find the wireles coverage in my home better than the hh5 and also better then the tplink VR2600

you appear to have tried all possibilities with the hh6   you could try the cheaper single band tplink 9970 which many use and like

enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

can you post hh6 stats

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
DDay1970
Message 3 of 9

Hi,

thanks for that, yes I tried to revert back to the old hub 5 but the speed went even slower, which to me does not make any sense at all. I heard that it may be possible to arrange for a rain engineer to check for interference outside the property, but not sure what difference that can make.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

As @imjolly has suggested, go back to the HH5. Its odd that some people do have issues with the HH6.

I suppose it could be that it uses a different wireless radio unit which is incompatible with certain devices. The other issue may be that the HH6 can only access three of the 13 wireless channels that are available. The HH5, like most routers, allows you to access all channels.

If the three channels that the HH6 can access, are all congested, then you are going to get poor speed and loss of connection.

The alternative third party router, allows access to all 13 channels.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

can you post stats and checker results  remembering to leave exchange and cab information

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

@DDay1970 wrote:
Hi,

thanks for that, yes I tried to revert back to the old hub 5 but the speed went even slower, which to me does not make any sense at all. I heard that it may be possible to arrange for a rain engineer to check for interference outside the property, but not sure what difference that can make.

If you get the full speed when connected using an Ethernet connection, then it has to be a wireless issue. A REIN engineer would not be able to help with wireless issues.

Turn off Smart Wireless on the HH5, and select a different channel, try channel 13 or channel 4.

0 Ratings
DDay1970
Message 7 of 9

Hi All,

thanks for the replies and suggestions.  I reverted to the HH5 and switched channels, but to little or no effect.  Call to BT and this time they state there is an external problem which they need 3 days to investigate.  Getting fobbed off? I did some reseacrh regarding REIN issues, checked all the electrical plugs, sockets and equipment and no issues arose.  I'll wait for BT to see if they can resolve within the 3 days, if no joy, I'm going to cancel my contract.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Fobbed off sounds about right

cancelling your contract for a wireless problem could be expensive depending on how long you contract has left to run

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Do you get full speed on an Ethernet connection?

0 Ratings