Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paulmy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

port forwarding / firewall chains

I am using a BT Homehub v6A.

I have two NAS devices on my LAN each with a website. In port forwarding I am directing external port 6661 to port 80 on NAS1 and external port 6662 to port 80 on NAS2. These rules are easy to set up (without error messages!).

I just saw in a post from 2018 that this was not supported by BT Homehub which can only manage one destination address, not one per device.

Is this still true with v6A?

If so can someone advise suitable equipment to overcome the problem?

Thanks

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 13

Re: port forwarding / firewall chains

Instead of using port 80 for both, try using (say) 8080 for one and 8082 for the other

0 Ratings
paulmy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Sorry I don't understand what you mean. I am already using 2 different ports from outside.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 13

@paulmywrote:

Sorry I don't understand what you mean. I am already using 2 different ports from outside.

In your original message, you said "In port forwarding I am directing external port 6661 to port 80 on NAS1 and external port 6662 to port 80 on NAS2.

You didn't say what NAS you're using but it should be capable of both auto and manual configuration. What I'm suggesting is that you select Manual configuration and change the port setting on one from 80 (the default) to 8080 and on the other from port 80 to 8082.

You will then have to set port forwarding on your router to match.

paulmy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Ok that's your idea, I understand!

Does that mean you don't know if the Homehub can handle what I described? Or does it mean that it cannot do this?

Thanks of you can answer the question!

Paul M

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 13

@paulmywrote:

Ok that's your idea, I understand!

Does that mean you don't know if the Homehub can handle what I described? Or does it mean that it cannot do this?

Thanks of you can answer the question!

Paul M

Yep, that's my idea, what's yours.

From your first post;_
"I have two NAS devices on my LAN each with a website. In port forwarding I am directing external port 6661 to port 80 on NAS1 and external port 6662 to port 80 on NAS2. These rules are easy to set up (without error messages!)."

Did it work, and if so why are you here seeking help ?

"Does that mean you don't know if the Homehub can handle what I described? Or does it mean that it cannot do this?" 

You can't map the same port to multiple destinations 

"Thanks of you can answer the question!

Does that answer your question?

0 Ratings
paulmy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

This is quite important for Homehub users. I have spent many hours, in fact days, trying to debug software I barely understand on my NAS devices assuming that what was stored in my port forwarding table in the Homehub router would actually be executed as described.

"You can't map the same port to multiple destinations" doesn't really help because as you see I map 6661 to one destination and 6662 to another!

I think you are implying that what I was trying to do is not supported by the Homehub, even in version 6A. So don't be shy of saying so!

Then I know I need a more functional & flexible firewall. Or I need to reconfigure my NAS devices not to use port 80.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

What @Anonymous  is saying, is that the home hubs only support a single endpoint, so if the end of the firewall chain points to port 80, then you cannot create another chain which has the same endpoint, even if it point to a different IP address.

I seem to remember that was also the case with the very first home hub, the home hub 1. I use my own router (TP Linh TD-W9970), but I have just tried an experiment, and it seems to allow the same endpoints, as shown here.

Capture.JPG

So it looks like a limitation with the home hub.

0 Ratings
paulmy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Thanks Keith,

I think it was your original post from a few years ago that made me think it might not work.

As I indicated I have no trouble setting it up in the router table. Much as in your example. And port 80 (http) is forwarded to both destinations.

My problem is some unpredictable results when reaching one of the servers. Swapping the settings / ports around seemed to make a difference, but maybe not ...

Now I think your answer is "Don't know!". And actually maybe the correct answer is that it does work. So thanks both, anyway ....

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

Unless you fix the IP address on the devices themselves, outside of the DHCP range of the home hub, then results will be unpredicatable, and the port mappings can be lost.

The endpoint must be an IP address and not a device name.

0 Ratings