Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tompage51
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

port forwarding hub 6 with netgear router

Go to solution

Hello All

i currently have a bt smart hub 1 (hub 6 i think) with a netgear r8000 connected. setup below

BT wall socket > hub 6 > ethernet cable to netgear router

i use the bt hub 6 for bttv which is connected from the hub 6 port to powerline adapters and the Netgear provides the wifi to the house and is the plex server. I chose this as the parental controls are much more advanced on the netgear router over the bt hub.

What i want to try to is be able to remotely connect to the netgear router from outside my network, so i followed the step by step instructions on the bt website on port forwarding. but i am still unable to access from outside. i have tried using work's internet and mobile internet.

is there anything else that i would need to change or something that i have missed on the hub 6 ?

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: port forwarding hub 6 with netgear router

Go to solution

@Tompage51 

I doubt if that is possible, as you are double NATing by using an extra router. You can only port forward to a device whose MAC address is physically connected to the home hub by wireless or Ethernet.

0 Ratings
Tompage51
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Keith

Thats a bit of a shame 😞 im a bit of a novice when it comes to networking and was chuffed with myself when i managed to get the routers working the way they are.

even with the netgear router physically connected via the ethernet cable it doesnt seem possible?

the funny thing is that i will recieve a notifcation on my mobile when im out saying that a new device has connected to the netgears wifi via the parental control and the netgear nighthawk app but i cannot 'talk' back to it.

Kind Regards

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

The notifications would not be affected, as they are outgoing only. Its just incoming connection that would not be possible.

If you were not using BT YouView, then you could avoid using the HH6, and use a separate modem connected to the Netgear WAN port.

The other possibility is that some Netgear routers do support BT YouView multicast transmissions, so you could use a separate modem.

See https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/BT-TV-R8000/td-p/1633790

You would of course have the extra expense of a modem as well, so I doubt if it would be worth the hassle.

0 Ratings
Tompage51
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Keith

I've been down this road, used to use a draytek vigor 130 modem with the netgear which was never 100% working. Then BT sent me out a replacement hub 6 to get TV working. Then i tried the current setup i have and havent touched it since then.

its not the end of the world not being able to remote to the parental/plex services, just would of been handy.

Although with what you have been saying, is there any problems my current setup could be having? ie am i creating problems with the way my network is currenry setup.

Kind Regards

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

There shouldn't be any reason you can't port forward to the Netgear wan port on the Hh6 and then port forward to the management IP address of the Netgear on the Netgear, i.e double port forward. This assumes you have connected from LAN port on the HH to WAN port on the Netgear

0 Ratings
Tompage51
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @licquorice 

thanks for the reply, im sure the netgear is connected to port 4 on the hh6 and goes to the wan port of the netgear. after that the netgear decided to set itself up to connect to the internet. I can double check the connection when i get home.

I am a bit of a simpleton when it comes to networking and have managed to get this far by researching online or by pure luck 😄 . i would like to try your idea, but i would kindly ask if you could explain a little bit further if possible 🙂

Kind Regards

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Not much more to explain really, the Netgear,s wan port will have an IP address served it from the HH, forward the requisite port to that address on the HH. Then on the Netgear, forward the same port to whatever the IP address of its management page is within the Netgear subnet. It may be that the Netgear doesn't allow that (Home Hubs don't) but worth a try anyway.

Tompage51
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

@licquorice 

Thanks, ill give it a try this evening and let you know how i get on 🙂

0 Ratings
Tompage51
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @licquorice 

tried your idea, and which ever ip address i used from settings nothing happened. the port forward was doing something as i did manage to get onto the settings page of the netgear router but wasnt able to do what i hoped i could do. Thanks for the advice all, guess ill just leave things as they are 🙂

Kind Regards