Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vincenzo
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

problem with BT home-hub and hostname

Hello,

It appear that the hostname provided by the home-hub  through DHCP, is using the MAC address of the client.

so we get something like unknown-##:##:##:##:##

As it's using the ":" character, it will  prevent the computer to be able to send emails with some email services like hostmail.

I saw this with the mail application on a mac.

IS there a way to change how the hostname is defined by the router ?

Thank you

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: problem with BT home-hub and hostname

Just edit the device entry to give it a meaningful name which relates to the device. DHCP always allocates IP addresses to device MAC addresses.

If the home hub cannot detect a network name, then is simply displays the MAC address.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 3 of 11

They always defined by MAC address on the first instance it connects, I tend to see this more with wireless devices but over time it should change to the devices name. 

As keith said you can just edit that device and change the name to your desire.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
slf2012
Message 4 of 11

Hi Ryan and Keith, 

How would I know what to change the name of the device to? Am I right in thinking it's the xx.xx.xx.etc name of the Mac computer? 

How would I find that number?

Many thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 11

Enter 192.168.1.154 in your browser > Settings > Password > Advanced Settings > Home Network. Click on the device you want to name and call it anything you like to identify it. (You'll probably have to do them one by one so you know which is which.)

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
C1Rider
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 11

Here's something for discussion regarding *Hostname* .

Santa came early and I am now the owner of a RaspberryPi mk2.

I've had it connected via wireless to my HH2 for the last three days.

In the DHCP table of my HH2 it's shown as *mac address* then 192.168.1.86.

Clicking on the *mac address* ( hoping to change the address to the *Hostname* of my RPi ) takes me to the *Home Network* and shows - no wireless devices detected - so I can't change the *Hostname*.

Now......  I know it's connected 'cause I can connect to/from it, my HH2 doesn't know it's connected   Smiley Sad

IF..... someone with a wireless device cracked my HH2 password they wouldn't show up in the *Home Network* so could quite merrily make use of my connection   Smiley Mad

Any thoughts ?????

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 11

@C1Rider wrote:

Any thoughts ?????

Does it appear if you click Devices under the Home Network tab? Do other devices show there when connected?

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
rvalkass
Message 8 of 11

Hostnames Do Not Work

So I've had my shiny new Infinity connection and it's accompanying Home Hub 3 for a few months now. Unlike a lot of people, I'm happy with it - I can get the ~70mbps speed I was promised!

However, there is one massive annoyance that has appeared. My Home Hub 3 seems to completely ignore hostnames for my computers. This is a problem for my MythTV box, NAS and automated backups, which require hostnames to talk to each other.

Some useful information that may help:

1. I can connect to all the PCs using IP addresses. They're definitely all on the network, perfectly fine. It's just annoying to constantly have to log into the router configuration, go into advanced settings to read the DHCP table and find the IP address the PC I want is currently allocated. It's also difficult to automate that process in a bash script.
  2. The Home Hub appears to list the hostnames perfectly fine in the DHCP table. So the Home Hub clearly knows what the hostnames are, and which IP address/device they relate to. It just refuses to resolve them.
  3. Appending ".local" or ".home" to the hostnames also has no effect.

So, any thoughts?

0 Ratings
C1Rider
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 11

Re: Hostnames Do Not Work

Hello,

"Fast" broadband hasn't reached me yet, and most likely will not for some time    Smiley Sad

Nevertheless, I had a similar *difficulty* with my HH2 ; here 's what I did.

After a clean boot of the HH2 I connected my various PC's, NAS one by one

using a fixed IP address outwith the DHCP range - I used from x.x.x.50 to x.x.x.60 -

then edited the IP address' and gave them I name I wanted.

Not saying it'll work on the HH3 but you could give it a try  Smiley Wink

Cheers..

0 Ratings
rvalkass
Message 10 of 11

Re: Hostnames Do Not Work

@C1Rider wrote:

Hello,

"Fast" broadband hasn't reached me yet, and most likely will not for some time    Smiley Sad

Nevertheless, I had a similar *difficulty* with my HH2 ; here 's what I did.

After a clean boot of the HH2 I connected my various PC's, NAS one by one

using a fixed IP address outwith the DHCP range - I used from x.x.x.50 to x.x.x.60 -

then edited the IP address' and gave them I name I wanted.

Not saying it'll work on the HH3 but you could give it a try  Smiley Wink

Cheers..

I haven't tried using IP addresses outside the DHCP range. I'll give it a go and see what happens... Thanks for the suggestion 🙂

0 Ratings