Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HyFy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

"DNS Server not responding" and/or "Windows was not able to connect to BTHub6."

Go to solution

Hi,

I'm having problems with several Windows machines not connecting to a BTHub6.  With Windows 7, I'm getting "Windows was not able to connect to BTHub6..." and with Windows 8 or 10, I'm getting "DNS Server not responding".  Android phones and tablets are fine as are a clutch of Raspberry Pi's.  The Windows 7 Notebook connects happily to a BTWiFi withFON but that's not a system I want to rely on!

The Windows 8 Laptop can work fine in the same room as the router but drops out further away but in an area where it used to work just fine a few weeks ago.

I have switched the Router Off and then On again after a pause but that had no effect on the problem which is in any case intermittent. It takes an  age (like 3 hours) to get things (especially the Pi's) all up and running again after switching it off - so  it's not something I want to keep repeating.

Any thoughts and advice?

HyFy

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: "DNS Server not responding" and/or "Windows was not able to connect to BTHub6.&qu

Go to solution

I would try 1 factory reset by pressing the recessed button on the back for 20/30 secs until lights flash  then enter hub manager and switch off smart setup then split the 2.4/5ghz networks and even select the wireless channels manually instead of leaving on auto - see if that helps your devices connect

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
HyFy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Re: "DNS Server not responding" and/or "Windows was not able to connect to BTHub6.&am

Go to solution

Hi,

I take it that a factory reset is what it sounds like and all of the "static" addresses and "port forwarding" rules  on 5 Pi's etc etc will all have to be re-done... and then we are not sure it's going to do the job.

Is this a problem with the Hub 6?

Would I be better with a third party router and know that once I've done the setting up it will be set up?

If I go down the factory re-set route do I allocate the 5 Ghz channels to closer set-ups and the 2.4 Ghz's to the one's further away? I have a TP-Link extender upstairs but that is functioning OK with a Pi using MQTT at the far end of the house.

I'm not wishing to sound negative but I could do with the Hub 6 doing what it said on the box!

Thanks

HyFy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

Re: "DNS Server not responding" and/or "Windows was not able to connect to BTHub6.&am

Go to solution

If the static addresses are on the devices then resetting the hub won't delete that. If they are in the hub then factory reset will delete everything back to the start

i have a hh6 with many devices and don't have these problems

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

If you are wanting 'static' addresses on your devices, you are much better setting them on the device itself rather than relying on DHCP address reservation.

You can't 'allocate' the frequencies to devices as such, you just give the 2 bands different SSIDs rather than the same SSID.

HyFy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

Yes, the "Statics" are on the devices but the port forwarding rules are on the hub. The last time I even switched off the hub I had all sorts of issues with the Pi's that I can't get at to re-start properly.  I can only "pull and re-insert a plug remotely. I corrupted  MQTT software on two and that had to be purged and then reinstalled via "VNC".

Like I say if only the Hub 6 would just do what it said it was going to do on  the box!

Where can I get advice on the "giving of different SSIDs".  I don't want to start the factory reset untiI I know exactly where I'm going and how to get there in one go. After all I won't have a source of advice once I have started!!!!!

Things are working on two out of the three Windows devices at the moment - but for how long?!!

Thanks for any continued advice on how I can sort this issue.

HyFy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Not sure what advice you want regarding giving different SSIDs. It just means the devices see the 2 networks separately. Most other routers other than BT hubs give the 2 signals different names. If you are using wifi on the Pis, as far as I'm aware they only have 2.4G wireless capability anyway.

HyFy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution
Thanks for that. Yes, even the latest Pi's only use 2.4Ghz but they are all but one remotely sited. With regard to the SSIDs I will have to see what I see when I open the Hub Manager and then "split the 2.4/5ghz networks and even select the wireless channels manually instead of leaving on auto" as suggested by "imjolly" , I assume that that will be readily apparent to me? By the way I note with grateful thanks that back a few years when I was even greener than I am now you gave very excellent advice to me on the matter of static IP's and Hub4s. I am even closer to 70 than I was then! Thanks HyFy
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution
When you go to hub manager then advanced settings then wireless you can toggle switch to separate the bands and that will automatically give the 5 ghz an added 5 thus giving separate SSID'. At the same time you can select the channel manually then just save the changes. It should not reset because of these changes

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

@HyFy wrote:
. I am even closer to 70 than I was then! Thanks HyFy

So am I, too near !!!

0 Ratings