cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

second router help

Go to solution

HI Everyone,

I plan on running a cat6 cable from my current homehub located in the living room to an outbuilding and in to a secondary router to supply that space with a strong connection.

How do i go about this?  I have watched a few tutorials but cant seem to wrap my head around it. My understanding is i need to configure something in the homehub before i connect a secondary router to my homehub but i cant seem to find the settings any tutorial mentioned. 

I called BT and the suggest i purchase a whole new line and plan which seems a little excessive.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated

Regards 

J

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: second router help

Go to solution

There is absolutely nothing you need to do on the homehub. The secondary router needs to be given an IP address outside of the DHCP range of the hub such as 192.168.1.10 and DHCP turned off. Connect the 2 devices LAN port to LAN port. Job's a good 'un.

Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Brilliant thanks for the fast reply. 

How do i go about giving the second router an ip outside of the DHCP range and then turning off the DHCP?

The secondary router is an older homehub i had laying around.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Connect your pc to the secondary hub but don't connect the hubs together yet. Go to the management page of the secondary hub 192.168.1.254 and go to Advanced settings. You haven't said which version of hub it is, but poke around in the settings and you will see where to disable DHCP and change the address. Don't forget to Dave the changes and once you do you will cut yourself off as you have changed the address of the management page. You can now connect the 2 hubs together. You will now be able to access the management page of the main hub at 192.168.1.254 and the management page of the secondary hub at 192.168.1.10

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks again for the fast reply I’m pretty sure the old hub is the home hub 5, I’m in the management page under advanced settings but I’m struggling to located anything related to DHCP to turn this off

Sorry I really appreciate the help again  

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution
I can see settings for a DHCP Table?
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

I can't remember exactly where in the settings menu it is on the HH5, but there will be an option somewhere to select DHCP on or off.

It's under IPv4 configuration on the SH2 as is the hub address configuration, guess it will be somewhere similar on the HH 5

Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

You sir are a legend. 

Thank you so much for the help, net is now working in the studio nice and strong! 

PS - BT, shame on you for trying to up sell me a whole new line. 

0 Ratings