cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wrightjd95
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

tp-link ac2100 extreme slow speed vs BThomehub. Higher upload speed than download. BT fiber.

Hello,

I've recently changed over to a 3rd party tp link router because I was fed up with the home hub.

However, after setting up the DSL settings as others have posted here I managed to get a stable connection. The problem is that the download speed is now only 1.5 mbps vs 35 mbps on the BThome hub. The funny thing is the upload speed which is 5mpbs is the same on both! So I find that to be very strange.

We've also had issues with line problems in the past. EG rats eating the cable. What do you think of the line quality?

Here are some screen grabs of the settling and the line quality. I live in a rural area approx 1-2 miles from the Fiber to cabinet

wrightjd95_0-1591472219977.png

wrightjd95_1-1591472340313.png

wrightjd95_2-1591472423817.png

wrightjd95_0-1591476268624.png

Cheers all! 

Tags (4)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: tp-link ac2100 extreme slow speed vs BThomehub. Higher upload speed than download. BT fiber.

The stats shown a down connection speed of 29mb

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
wrightjd95
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Re: tp-link ac2100 extreme slow speed vs BThomehub. Higher upload speed than download. BT fiber.

Yeah that is true, but using the routers speed test function, or anything else on the network will only get 1.5mbps.

Cheers

0 Ratings
TheRealBudski
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 8

I’ve checked my TP Link router and my settings are identical to yours. 

Do you have the same issue testing on a wired connection and WiFi connection?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

there are guarantees on download speed.  run bt speedtester with ethernet connection and post results 

https://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Guru
Message 6 of 8

Yes but only with a BT HomeHub I'm sure.

0 Ratings
wrightjd95
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

I'm still having no luck with this. Honestly, I'm completely bemused by it. It's like the connection is being throttled. Any ideas? I'm pretty desperate now.

Screenshot_2.png

0 Ratings
HazzaMo
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Apologies if I'm starting up an older thread for no reason here but can't see that you ever resolved this... I've been scowering the internet/forums since my TP-link AC2100 I just set up has caused my download speed to severely throttle.

I'm actually on Sky ADSL, not BT Fibre, but it seems it may be the same issue.

I've just found with mine that having QoS turned on seems to be the issue. Even if I reduce the % of reserved bandwidth it appears to throttle massively... doesn't seem to matter what specific QoS settings are... if it's on at all, my internet is throttled to about 0.4-0.6Mbps.

As soon as I turn QoS off I get my normal internet speed, about 6-7Mbps (no fibre in my area yet unfortunately).

Since this is a newer product I wonder if there's a bug with QoS that screws up the router's package management or something.

Not sure if this is the same for you but maybe it will help some others!

Tags (1)
0 Ratings