Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spectric
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

using Netgear GS108 switch with BT HH5

Hi all

The BT hub has four LAN ports, when I connect the Netgear switch it will give me seven LAN ports to use, my question is can you use the other three ports on the BT hub without any issues with speed or ports droping out?

thanks Roy

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: using Netgear GS108 switch with BT HH5

@spectric wrote:

Hi all

The BT hub has four LAN ports, when I connect the Netgear switch it will give me seven LAN ports to use, my question is can you use the other three ports on the BT hub without any issues with speed or ports droping out?

thanks Roy

Yes, but remember that if the home hub restarts, you will lose connectivity between devices connected to the switch, and devices connected to the home hub.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Guru
Message 3 of 9

@spectric 

If you have BT subscription channels then I wouldn't recommend that Netgear switch as it doesn't support the BT transmission protocol and can cause issues with other devices connected to it by flooding all connected devices with the subscription channel's data.

My preference would be a TP-Link TL-SG108.

0 Ratings
spectric
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Hi all

Thanks for the replies

So if I am not using the BT subscription services then I should not have any issues?   I was intending to connect the Pc directly to the HH and then Tv, BT box, Freesat etc to the network switch, would this be the right approach?

Roy

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Guru
Message 5 of 9

@spectric 

Yes that approach should be just fine.

0 Ratings
spile
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 9

"as it doesn't support the BT transmission protocol "

This makes no sense to me in terms of a network switch. 

What do you believe is the difference in specification between the Netgear and your favoured switch?

0 Ratings
spectric
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

thanks for that,

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Guru
Message 8 of 9

@spile 

Quite simply the Netgear doesn't have IGMP Snooping. This function knows which port on the switch requested the Multicast transmission - eg BT Sport - and directs it solely to that port. So the Netgear would send nMbps to all ports potentially flooding the devices, whereas the Sg108 I refer to sends all that data to ONLY the requesting port. This sort of effect is disasterous for the likes of SkyQ and mini-units , knocking the minis off the network.

Hope that explains it well enough.

spile
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 9

0 Ratings