Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paulplow
Message 1 of 6

using existing phone sockets for ethernet

Go to solution

Hi,

We've just moved to a new house which has phone sockets in most rooms. However the Openreach port is in a different room to the main office, where we'd like to be able to connect via ethernet for faster upload/download speeds. There is already a phoneport in this room and we're wondering if anyone could advise if there is a simple effective way to connect an ethernet cable using the socket in the office room.

Thanks 

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: using existing phone sockets for ethernet

Go to solution

There isn't a simple plug 'n play way to do it. It will depend on what sort of sockets you have and how they are wired, but it will require a certain amount of re-wiring work of the sockets to be carried out. Depending on your exact requirements, it may be possible to utilise the existing cables rather than having to run new ones. If you are not familiar with phone socket wiring, I would suggest you get somebody in to rewire them.

0 Ratings
Jack_F
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution
Highlighted
davehants
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution
The broadband extender is for use of the power sockets for Ethernet, not for use of the phone sockets for Ethernet. It's a good solution though, and there are many makes of Ethernet over power. See also the TPLink powerline adapter products for some good features: http://uk.tp-link.com/products/list-18.html Rgds, Dave.
0 Ratings
georgemac
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

It could be very straightforward if you have an Openreach fibre connection and filtered faceplate - could be!

This is a very good article https://www.vmadmin.co.uk/other/357-moving-bt-infinity-dsl-from-master-socket-to-any-household-exten...  I think. 

The extension wiring will be off your master behind the faceplace - assuming it is a moden NTE5 faceplate or this fitted with ADSL filtered faceplate. 

If all the extensions are wired to this - simple - you just find the one for the room you want and connect it to the extension ports - if the extensions are wired one out - then on to another one - I think it would still work but maybe not so well. 

My broadband is wired from the extension ports on the ADSL faceplate to another room -works fine. 

0 Ratings
paulplow
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution
thanks – seems like the best solution. There's about 10 extension sockets in the house so I'll have to figure out which extension cables it'll be!
0 Ratings