cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WonnovMenny
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

which is best modem for infinity 2

My BT Smarthub 6A seems to have a problem keeping track of all the wireless devices in our house. 

If I change to a separate modem and router rather than a combo unit this will allow a better router to be used, but I’m not too well-up on BT equipment, I was previously with Virgin Media cable.

Which of these is best to use as a modem to connect to  BT Infinity 2 FTTC?... 

• BT Openreach Huawei Echolife HG612 
  • BT Openreach ECI B-Focus V2 FU/br Rev.B 
  • BT Hub 5 (modem only mode) 
  • BT Smarthub HH6 (modem only mode)   

Currently my smarthub data rate is syncing at 80/20.  With the Openreach modems being older technology will they run slower?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: which is best modem for infinity 2

The issue is with the home hub, its the same for all the home hubs, so changing the modem will not help. The  home hubs do not remove old device entries.

None of the home hubs can operate in modem only mode.

The TP-Link TD-W9970 (£40 or less), does not suffer from this problem, as connections get re-allocated when the DHCP lease expires.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-15_TD-W9970.html#specifications

Emulator https://www.tp-link.com/resources/simulator/W9970V2_Emulator/index.htm

More information on request.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 16

0 Ratings
WonnovMenny
Beginner
Message 4 of 16

Hi Keith,

Yes, I know I have another thread and appreciate that the problem I previously mentioned is caused by the way the BT smarthub router operates DHCP etc.  In my other thread I was asking for a replacement for smarthub, but this is a different question.

If you recall I mentioned my Son has an XBox1 and is always complaining about our internet. My Daughter has now bought a Playstation as an early christmas present and we have Netflix and NowTV as well as the youview box plus many other things all straining the smarthub.      

Anyway,  my son is a member of a game playing group and someone who runs the group has recommended a TP Link Archer C5400 router. They told him its much better to have separate modem and router as long as the router is very powerful and fast enough.   He researched this router, told me it’s exactly what we need and he’s willing to pay for it.

That would solve the router problem but I need a modem to connect it to infinity 2. That’s the reason for my new question.

I’ve looked on ebay and come across different versions of the openreach modem. I was wondering if they will be just same as HH5 or smarthub in modem only mode (other stuff disabled). From looking around it seems people do prefer the separate openreach modem and router, but which version to go for and would it improve my sync speed?

I thought I’d have received lots of replies about the differences in these modems because there seems to be some very knowledgable people in this BT community forum.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

Choice of separate modem is pretty limited.

Home hubs cannot be used in modem only mode.

The Huawei HG612 is still being used by many people and is preferable to the ECI version of Openreach modem.

The other choices are Draytek Vigor 130 or Netgear DM200

WonnovMenny
Beginner
Message 6 of 16

@licquoricewrote:

Choice of separate modem is pretty limited.

Home hubs cannot be used in modem only mode.

The Huawei HG612 is still being used by many people and is preferable to the ECI version of Openreach modem.

The other choices are Draytek Vigor 130 or Netgear DM200

You wouldn’t happen to know if any of them offer any benefits the others don’t or if any may cause a slower connection than i have with the Smarthub or doesn’t it matter... do they just connect and thats it?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

Both the Openreach modems are by default supplied locked thus line stats can't be viewed without unlocking. The Huawei is a 5 minute trivial excercise to unlock, the ECI requires soldering iron etc. All will just connect but will probably give slightly different sync speeds as they will have different chipsets. The ZyXEL VMG 1312-B10A is also a popular choice, it is a modem/router but can be put in bridge mode.

0 Ratings
WonnovMenny
Beginner
Message 8 of 16

@licquoricewrote:

Both the Openreach modems are by default supplied locked thus line stats can't be viewed without unlocking. The Huawei is a 5 minute trivial excercise to unlock, the ECI requires soldering iron etc. 

Ah, I see, thats why some of the openreach modems on ebay say they’re unlocked. I thought it meant they could be used with other ISP’s.

One thought the older modems may connect at slower speeds as years ago when I was on cable broadband I had to change my old modem in order to get faster speeds.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 16

From your other thread you are currently syncing at 80M with a max rate of 86M so even if you get a 10M drop (which is unlikely) you will still be syncing at 76M which will be indistinguishable from 80M

0 Ratings
Gary_C
Contributor
Message 10 of 16

I have experience with the ECI openreach modem and the vigor 130 (and a HH 5a)

Either modems work fine. I unlocked the ECI just for fun, but it's not really necessary and works straight out of the box.

the vigor also works straight out of the box and is configurable but really they are both just vdsl2 modems.

what I do like (and the reason I changed) is that BT don't send commands to cause it to reboot.

i then run it into a netgear r7800's wan port.