cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbopete
Message 1 of 14

wi-fi works for 10 - 15 mins at one connection then stops. at another connection no issues. why?

Go to solution

im hoping someone here can be more help than BT have been so far. My partner has had no end of issues with a recent BT installation following a house move. She has the BT hub 4 and has been using my laptop (which i am currently using at my own address)

When we log onto the internet at her address (on her BT hub 4) the connection works great for 10 to 15 mins, then it drops and we cannot connect to it again with the laptop, either via Wi-fi OR using the ethernet cable. having spent an HOUR on the phone to BT, resetting the hub, having the power boosted to the hub etc, no difference was made. The signal shows as strong on Wi-fi but the network key isnt recognised, having deleted the hub from the list of connections to the laptop at the instruction of the BT call centre, to start a new connection after resetting the hub (and yes im certain i entered the password correctly)

However, to test a theory to myself, I brought the laptop home with me, entered the password for the Wi-fi at my own hub (hub 5 but it shouldnt make a difference as far as i can see) and i have been browsing the web, writing this post etc for around an hour now and not even had a HINT of the connection dropping out. in my opinion, this rules out any fault with my laptop, and BT are adamant there is no fault with my partners hub 4, despite the restart button not appearing to have any function etc.

So, can someone please explain to me (as simply as possible please) WHY the hub password (which has never been changed) is no longer recognised by the hub and Why the connection drops to the laptop and refuses to reconnect after a matter of minutes, yet when at my own address, i can sit online for HOURS with no connection issues?

the line was installed under 3 weeks ago, faults on a brand new install rectified around a week ago, and filters etc all connected to the main socket. line is now quiet (having read checks to do on another thread) and has been for a week or so.

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: wi-fi works for 10 - 15 mins at one connection then stops. at another connection no issues. why?

Go to solution

When you did a reset did you use the recessed button on back and hold it for 20/30 secs until the lights flash. That should take hub back to factory settings as it was when received.  Wireless password on hub should now work

i don't know what you mean 'having the power boosted to the hub'

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 14

Re: wi-fi works for 10 - 15 mins at one connection then stops. at another connection no issues. why?

Go to solution

@imjolly wrote:

i don't know what you mean 'having the power boosted to the hub'

Sounds like usual helpdesk bull**** to me!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution
as usual
0 Ratings
turbopete
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

by boosting the power i mean they said they were making the signal strength to broadcast the wi-fi stronger.

i held the recessed button in for around 20 seconds, the light started to flash a second or so after the button was released, i let the light go steady blue and waited a few seconds to allow it to show on my list of available connections, went to connect and the message said that the password was incorrect.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

@turbopete wrote:

by boosting the power i mean they said they were making the signal strength to broadcast the wi-fi stronger.

As I said, bull****

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

Typical CS - they cannot boost your wifi signL

when i reset my hub I held the button for 20/30 secs but lights flsahed before I let go and passwors and all my setting were back to how I received the hub

yiu can always connect with ethernet cable and check the setting of the password

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

Just a basic check... Are you using the wireless passkey that is on the Homehub label. It is not the admin password.

Make sure you have turned off "Smart set Up" on the Homehub. See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

0 Ratings
turbopete
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

hi. yes i am using the wireless passkey

0 Ratings
turbopete
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

i cant even connect to the internet using the ethernet cable for some odd reason. again, it sees that the connection exists but cant connect!

0 Ratings