cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brynymor
Message 1 of 5

wireless connection drop on desktop

Just upgraded  from homehub 2 to 3. Seems fine with laptop, ipad, streaming iplayer on TV and 2 phones, but on desktop (WIndows 7) the wireless connection keeps dropping off and reconnecting when using browser. The BT Help kicks in and seems to sort it, but only til the next time. I use Avast anti virus and Windows firewall if that's any help.

Didn't have this problem with homehub 2.

Same prob with Firefox and IE. Really annoying!

Any ideas?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: wireless connection drop on desktop

Probably wireless card driver needs updating to cope with WPA2.

Wireless problems and things you can try, to resolve them

0 Ratings
spruzes
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

brynymor - You are not alone. The Home Hub 3 (Type A) has numerous WiFi connectivity-related bugs.

People have suggested many fixes, most of which mean disabling functionality (e.g. smart wireless) or reducing the Hub's security level (i.e. to WPA or, heaven forbid, WEP) - essentially switching off functions that are supposed to be the major reason for adopting the Home Hub 3 in the first place.

I've tried them all, and come to the conclusion that, rather than offering the 'best ever' WiFi connection, as BT adverts would have it, current Home Hub 3s are buggy and a massive step backwards.

I'd stick with your Home Hub 2 until BT have resolved the issue. Which may be some time.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
brynymor
Message 4 of 5

Yes, the wifi driver is up to date, so its not that. Just seems weird that the laptop and everything else seem to like the new hub!

As a temporary measure I've hooked the desktop to the modem with a cable and that sort of works, and I understand there's an update due in the new year for the hub - maybe they'll have sorted out a few more bugs by then. If not, it'll be back to hub 2 or dump BT

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

I assume that you tries setting the home hubs wireless to WPA only?

0 Ratings