cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Geoff12
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 3

wireless connection

This will no doubt seem a very basic question. I am soon moving house and need to set up the system. Openreach has installed a master socket in the living room. I plan to site the telephone near the front door, and to have the broadband hub and desktop computer upstairs.

In the house I am leaving:

-  the  master socket is in the entrance hall near to where the telephone is connected

- the computer / hub (SmartHub6) are upstairs, connected to the master socket by a long flex.

In both cases, will I need to connect the devices by a long flex, or are there means of establishing wireless connection? The BT house-move helpdesk said that a 'dongle' could be fitted to the desktop - does that seem correct, and if so is there any particular type to buy outright rather than take out a periodic contract ? 

Thanks for your advice

Geoff12

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: wireless connection

There are multiple solutions to this depending on how you wish to connect things.

For the phone, the simplest option is just to use a cordless phone. The base station can be co-located with the master socket and the handset used anywhere in the house.

For the internet, you first need to decide if you want to site the hub at the master socket and the PC elsewhere or whether you wish to site the hub and PC together.

If the former, you have several options.

1. Buy a wireless dongle for the PC ( hundreds to choose from starting at about £10) and connect to the hub wirelessly.

2. Use powerline adaptors to extend the hub's Ethernet socket to where your PC is located.

3. Run an Ethernet cable from the hub to the PC.

For the latter, run an extension cable from the data extension terminals of the master socket to an extension socket where your PC is located.

Geoff12
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: wireless connection

Thanks for this advice - I will study it further.

Geoff 12
0 Ratings