cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nannyjan
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

wireless network connection problems

Grand daughters laptop not connecting to wifi since upgrading to fibre broadband. It is a HP laptop with Vista. When I try to connect to my hub4 it is showing as unidentified network and only local access. Spent hours searching on the web to no avail. Can anyone help please?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: wireless network connection problems

Please can you tell me the model number, as the wireless card drivers are probably out of date, and need updating.

0 Ratings
nannyjan
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

HI Thanks for your quick response.It's a HP compaq presario C700 notebook PC running windows vista home premium.

Jan

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

You need to go to this website http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=2093&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3559...

and select driver - network, and identify which wireless card card you have (Intel or Broadcom), and then download the latest drivers.

You may need to do this on another computer, and save the file on a USB stick, or connect the laptop using an Ethernet cable, and download the update file directly.

Once you run the update file, it will pring the wireless drivers up to date, and will allow connection to WPA2 wireless encrypted networks.

0 Ratings
nannyjan
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

Thanks for the link Keith but still not resolved even after I installed the new Realtek driver. I don't know what else to try. My Hp G56 connects fine but my grand daughters will say its connected but it only connects local.

Jan

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Two things to try.

Reset the home hub to factory default.

Delete any existing saved wireless settings on the laptop, then rescan for the home hub, and re-enter the wireless key.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

It could be that your computer has IPv6 selected.

Try disconnecting it as follows:

Select Start

In the search field type.ncpa.cpl and press enter.

In the new window right click on your wireless network connection and select properties

In “This connection uses the following items” section remove the tick beside Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) then press OK

Left click on Internet Protocol IPv4, click properties . Check the options to obtain IP address and DNS server address automatically.

Once done try and connect to internet.

0 Ratings
nannyjan
Beginner
Message 8 of 13

Thanks for your help but that also didn't work. The Wireless Network Connection Status is still showing IPv4Connectivity: Local and IPv6Connectivity: Limited but on my own HP laptop it shows  IPv4Connectivity: Internet and IPv6 Connectivity  No Network Access.

Jan

0 Ratings
nannyjan
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

Reset the hub and removed the hub info in Manage Wireless Networks....not sure how to delete any other way and set up the new profile in Manually connect to a Wireless Network but still having the same problem. It

is now telling me that "Windows cannot connect to the hub and tried repairing but there is still a problem"

Been trying to sort it for a couple of days now and it is so frustating. My HP G56 laptop, Samsung Galaxy 3 phone and my Samsung tablet all connect with no problem but this laptop of my grand daughters is a right pain. It worked here no problem until I upgraded to fibre optic a few weeks ago but at her parents house who are on BT Broadband (not fibre) she had to connect there with a cable.

I really appreciate the help you are giving.

Jan

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

Did you untick the IPv6?

Try uninstalling the wirless network card then restart your computer and let Windows re install the card.

Start > Control panel > Device manager > Network adaptors > highlight the wireless adaptor and right click. > Uninstall > restart computer and follow prompts.

0 Ratings