cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FinnMo
Message 1 of 8

wirelessly extending wifi

Hello everyone,

I was just wandering because we need wifi in a shed in my garden what would be the best way to extend my wifi to the shed.

I have the bt smart hub 6 btw

I was thinking of buying another router and using the WDS bridging on that to extend the wifi if possible

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: wirelessly extending wifi

If the shed has power and is on the same consumer unit as the hub I would recommend powerline adaptors such as these A purely wifi solution will be a compromise as you would need to site the wifi device somewhere between the hub and the shed.

0 Ratings
FinnMo
Message 3 of 8

Hi thanks for replying so quickly,

Sadly the shed is on a different consumer unit as the home. Would the wifi extender 750 do.

The distance from the router to the shed is about 20-25 metres away from the router.I was wandering if that would be a good distance for it?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

The extender would need to be placed halfway between the shed and router. If you place it in the shed there is no need for it as the hub wifi either already reaches there and a repeater is superfluous or it doesn't and it won't work. Is it possible to run an Ethernet cable between the hub and shed?

0 Ratings
FinnMo
Message 5 of 8

Unfortunately I don't have access to put an Ethernet cable to the shed but I will probably just get the extender or keep looking for alternatives.

Thanks for your help I will come back if I need anything else

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

There are only 3 ways to get connectivity in the shed, Ethernet cable, powerline extenders or a strategically placed wifi repeater. If the repeater can be placed significantly closer in the house to the shed than the hub it might work.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 7 of 8

As @licquorice  has posted, you will be struggling to get good reception at 25 metres, and then only at 2.4 GHz, with the repeater at half distance.

The BT Complete Wi Fi  black disk gives (some) reception, at around 10 metres at 2.4 GHz.

Best solution may be to run an Ethernet connection.

0 Ratings
lnajr02
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 8

I have connected a BT 11ac Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 1200 to broadband hub, on the first floor so I can access internet across a road, Grammars Home. It’s about 20m to 25m and I can still stream TV when we visit. So it may work, what speeds are you looking to get?
Alternatively, If you get an Ethernet from your HUB to a power socket on the same consumer unit as the shed?
Then the powerline would work.
0 Ratings