cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnmorgan222
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

xbox one unable to stay connected to game servers

My son purchased fifa21 last friday but has had real issues  staying connected to the EA servers.

He connects to xbox live fine and connects to fifa without a problem but as soon as he starts ultimate team or tries to play against one of his friends he disconnects (he'll get 2 minutes into a game and then the xbox will say he's lost connection to EA server). I've spent most of the last week demanding EA due something about it, adjusting settings, rebooting etc. However yesterday I tried connecting the xbox via my phone's mobile hotspot and everything worked illustrating the issue must be to do with my broadband or smart hub. My wife is working from home and my other son has a playstation and neither have an issue.

Does anyone have any ideas. Should I factory reset the hub or demand a new one from BT?

Given the current restrictions playing fifa and other games online with his friends has been great for my son and at the moment he can't and he is getting really fed up. I've reached the limits of my abilities when coming to fixing this is concerned.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Matt-S
Moderator-Retired
Message 2 of 10

Re: xbox one unable to stay connected to game servers

Hi @johnmorgan222,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for taking the time to post.

Have you tried switching Smart Set up off and setting up Port Forwarding

Thanks 

Matt

0 Ratings
johnmorgan222
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Hi Matt
thanks for replying. yes i have got smart set up off and have got port forwarding set up for xbox live and every advised port for fifa 21 servers
0 Ratings
Matt-S
Moderator-Retired
Message 4 of 10

@johnmorgan222,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Do you have parental controls set up?

Do you have the same issue with games not made by EA?

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings
johnmorgan222
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

No parental controls on.

Have had a few issues with Activision in the past but nothing like this. At the moment the only issue we have is with fifa (ea sports).

I have contacted ea help and gone through all their suggestions and reached a dead end. They will now say it's a problem with my isp as we can connect via a mobile hotspot.

Really need a solution as its half term soon and with increasing covid restrictions this is the way my kids play/keep in touch with their friends.

Thanks

0 Ratings
SpiderPig
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 10

@johnmorgan222 

This could be a tricky one to get to the bottom off. 

It's possible that the issue could be caused by high latency/PING spikes. You mentioned that your wife works from home it's possible that if your wife is using Zoom or other video conferencing software and your son is trying to game at the same time that the latency becomes too high and the connection is dropped from the game. If you have your son try and play a game when he's the only one connected do you have the same problem?

It would be worth hardwiring the Xbox into the hub if you have not done so already.

SP

0 Ratings
johnmorgan222
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Thanks for the suggestion.

We have tried wireless and wired but it hasn't made a difference.

Generally my wife is online a lot during the day and my son is playing in the evening so there shouldn't be a clash. His brother has a playstation and that has no issues. They are generally both on at the same time but that has always been the case without issue until now.

Thanks for the help. Further suggestions appreciated.

0 Ratings
johnmorgan222
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

So last night I brought my work laptop home and connected to BT wifi hotspot then using my laptop as a mobile hotspot connected the xbox to the servers.

Although slow compared to our normal connection everything worked and he stayed connected.

Surely this means the issue is either with the smart hub or the connection to the exchange (which I am advised is 40mb ish)?

0 Ratings
SpiderPig
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

@johnmorgan222,

Not quite, if the Hub was causing the issue or blocking access in some way then you likely wouldn't be able to get connected to EA at all.

Could you post your router stat just to make sure your connection is OK?

If you are using the BT Smart hub you can get your connection stats by, Opening a new web browser on your connected device and type 192.168.1.254 or bthomehub.home into the address bar. This will open the Hub Manager. Click ‘Advanced Settings’ and then ‘Technical log’.

Might be worth posting screenshots from Pinglotter if you know how you use it. One screenshot showing the connection with only Ping Plotter running on a laptop/PC and then another with everything on the house running. The laptop/PC would need to be hardwired into the hub. This way you will be able to see if latency is causing the issue and where on the network.  There is plenty of posts on the Community where users have struggled with latency when one device is playing a game and another is watching a video never mind two trying to game at the same time.

SP

0 Ratings
johnmorgan222
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Hi SP

Thanks for all the info / suggestions.

So before I got your message I tried an old hub and we could all connect and everything seemed to work ok.

So I factory reset our existing hub and at present everything seems to be working. My wife is working online, one son is on playstation and the other playing fifa21 without a problem at moment.

So for now all is good.

I will bear your comments in mind and look at the log should we have further issues. But I genuinely think at some point an update or adjustment has caused some sort of issue. I may well be wrong but for now everything works.

Thanks for the help

John

0 Ratings