cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a password for customers when anyone claiming that their phoning you from bt.

a password for customers when anyone claiming that their phoning you from bt.

Surely with BT asking for our security when they call us or we call them. we can ask them also to confirm a security question. more security less scams.
8 Comments
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage

On the face of it that sounds like a good idea, however unfortunately some people have reported receiving scam calls shortly after contact with BT Customer Services.

The scammers had the callers account number and they were apparently aware that the customer had contacted BT. 

If that is the case the scammer could also be given or obtain the security question answer. This would of course lead the customer to believe that they are dealing with a genuine call and instead of protecting the customer it would actually be helping the scammer over come the customers possible suspicions.  

Foreverjustabhoy12
Aspiring Contributor
True moderator but there definitely has to be more security on this network.
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage

Just to make this clear. I am not a moderator. I am a BT customer just like you. I do not and have never worked for BT.

Foreverjustabhoy12
Aspiring Contributor
Sorry about that.
HGri
Beginner

I also think this is a really good idea.  I acknowledge that its not infallible and the first reply is valid - but something has to be better than nothing.  At present I feel very uncomfortable that someone from BT contacts me and then expects me to give out my personal details.  They've called me using the number registered on my account, and expect me to verify who I am to a complete stranger calling from an unknown number.  

gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage

Do not give out any information to an unsolicited caller from BT. There are very few genuine reasons why BT would contact you.

If they do call, ask them which department they are calling from and a case reference number regarding the issue they are calling you about, then you call them back via calling BT on 150 and asking to be put through to the relevant department.

HGri
Beginner

I like the case reference idea.  Not quite so enthused about calling 150 and waiting in an interminable queue..... but better that than get scammed!  Really good suggestion, thanks for sharing!

Foreverjustabhoy12
Aspiring Contributor
Thanks hgri.