cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brundlefly
Message 11 of 21

Re: 0845 602 1111 - Text Messaging Service?????

This is an MITM attack (man in the middle). DO NOT RETRIEVE MESSAGE. When you answer or retrieve the message, they connect with your device and upload any info they want to their device. They are capable of listening in to any conversations and also retrieve any texts you send/receive.They're after your skype details with this number. IT IS NOT BT!!! Skype to Skype is encrypted. Skype to any other platform is not. PPI repayments texts and calls are exactly the same thing. DO NOT REPLY TO IT!!! As soon as you do, there are three people in the room.

If you make a call to a company number (0500) etc., any number where you are likely to make a purchase, your call will be intercepted by the MITM attacker who will impersonate the call-centre employee, even with pre-recorded background noise. 'Hello, my name is ----, how can I help you today'? Your name is the first thing to be asked, your postcode is the next. They now have a geographical location for their victim, and the trawling for information starts. If you give them your card numbers it's all over. Remember, they don't know who you're calling, they just go by the number's characteristics, so if they don't say, 'Screwfix' or the name of whatever company you're calling, hang up.

Sadly, the only way to rid yourself of this parasite is to change your number; the problem being that if you've replied/retrieved this message, they already have the contents to your address book, so as soon as you send your contacts your new number, you inadvertantly send the MITM attacker your number too. This is a really nasty and hugely underestimated scam. As difficult to shake as Malaria.

The main problem in preventing the MITM attacks, is the phone companies not wanting to share their encryption/delivery methods of their trade and therefore the MITM attackers have free reign over their customers, safe in the knowledge that the phone company isn't going to do a damned thing about it. Peace.

0 Ratings
rachwelshie
Message 12 of 21

Sorry but the above post is nothing more than rediculous, i followed the prior given advice to another Virgin media customer. 
 When i read the number to the CSA he confirmed it was theirs. 

SO i rang back the number and jotted the number given down and it was a number that text me that i had been currently trying to re-ring that had told me before all this that they had phone problems! 

0 Ratings
jandy40
Message 13 of 21

Hi I also had to register too but if you listen to the message it tell you the callers number. Ring that BT number back & listen to any saved messages but gives you the callers number. I have had one last night now this morning when i have a late shift to do tonight. It was my brother in law the tool & not very bright. I sent him a text message to his mob & he replied back via BT messaging service saying "NO" I mean how thinck & stupid do you have to be the **bleep**. It also gave me his mobile number he messaged from. Hope that helps & everyone else sees this. I am not sure if it tells you the number if they dont leave a message you will have to play the message out i guess. Please let me know if it did ok. Andy 

0 Ratings
Whitesman
Message 14 of 21

They kept calling my 82 year mother up over a couple of days numerous times leaving her frightened and confused.  My mum rang me one evening just after I got back from work desperate for me to stop them from calling.   

0 Ratings
Whitesman
Message 15 of 21

They kept calling my 82 year mother up over a couple of days numerous times leaving her frightened and confused.  My mum rang me one evening just after I got back from work desperate for me to stop them from calling.   

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
rebecca_riots
Contributor
Message 16 of 21

This number is genuine BT... so ignore this rubbish. I had several calls from this number today, and eventually answered and it was a vocal message saying that my broadband upgrade had been completed. Also told how to prevent reception of any further messages, how to do this that and the other blah blah. So don 't worry. its ok. I am surprised this thread is still on the forum.

0 Ratings
Carlusha
Contributor
Message 17 of 21

@rebecca_riots wrote:

This number is genuine BT... so ignore this rubbish. I had several calls from this number today, and eventually answered and it was a vocal message saying that my broadband upgrade had been completed. Also told how to prevent reception of any further messages, how to do this that and the other blah blah. So don 't worry. its ok. I am surprised this thread is still on the forum.

Quite!

Others use this service to communicate important and not so important messages. For example, Smyths Toys used the service to advise us that our order was ready for in-store collection.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 21

These calls are caused by someone using their mobile phone to send you an SMS but they have sent it to your landline number insteads of your mobile phone.  If you answer the call the BT robot will read the message to you in English.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Username90
Beginner
Message 19 of 21

0845 602 1111 is a Text Messaging Service to your landline phone number.

Dial 0800 587 5252 from the landline you want to stop getting text messages on. You’ll then be given five options for choosing a time to not get messages. This is called a ‘curfew’. You can set a curfew between specific times of the day or choose not to get text messages at all.

These are your curfew choices:

Standard – turn off messages sent between 11pm and 8am
Watershed – turn off messages sent between 9pm and 9am
Late night – turn off messages sent between midnight and 6am
Turn off ALL messages
Anytime (no curfew) – get text to speech messages at any time of day or night.

See:  https://btplc.com/inclusion/ProductsAndServices/Nuisancecalls/Unwantedtexts/index.htm

Moe70
Contributor
Message 20 of 21

I've been getting about 10 calls a day from this number. Now I know what it is, I went onto my phone setting to Text Messages and turned off Message Alert. I had this number on blocked settings so the phone wouldn't ring, but one time I did listen to the message and a woman said something about an order number 64364 and left a mobile number 07483322249 which is a call originating from India. This all started when I used the BT App to order BT Broadband Plus, which never went through anyway.
0 Ratings