Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
azzmor
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

1 Month without a phone

Hi

I reported a fault on my phone line on the 29 of November through the bt web site, it quickly came back with fault on "BT's Network"  estimated repair date of 4 of December. When you lift the handset the noise sounds like the old fax / modem noise when they shake hands but is constant. I assumed this would be the last date it would be repaired. The date came and went and the next day, still no phone. So after one week NO PHONE.

The phone is extremely important as it's my 92 year old father's only form of communication with the outside world, he has heart issues and would not be able to walk to the neighbours for help. I've explained this to bt on 3 separate occasions. What 'bt' say sounds good but means absolutely nothing. The potential consequences of no phone for my father is fatal!

So I did a live chat over the web (6 of Dec) and chased up the repair, very apologetic , 'A fault in the underground cable, can't speak to the engineering team to give you a date as it's Saturday, I'll give you a ring back on Monday'. So a ring back is scheduled on the Monday at his insistence, I was happy with an email. Not a word from BT on the Monday or Tuesday, so I phoned them Wednesday, very apologetic again no idea why it hasn't been repaired, a phone back arranged for the next day. A phone back from a manager also promised later that day and the next as well. Well the woman did phone back the next day, fault in the underground cable now, but no date for when it will be fixed, another call promised for the next day and a promise the manager will be calling me as well.

Nothing heard from BT on the Friday all quiet over the weekend. I'd given my works phone number for contact upto 5:00 pm then to contact my brother on his landline after 5. I happened to call in on brother on the following Monday night and a message had been received that day from bt, so I enquired what time, thinking this must have been after I'd finished work. Oh no, the message was received at around 11 am. Simple instructions seem so hard some times!!! Anyway, I couldn't understand the message nor could my brother's wife, my brother got the basics, fault on circuitry and would be repaired by the 11 of January ( which seems odd as I make that out to be a Sunday). So I phoned BT again on the Wednesday night (17 of Dec, already been without a phone for 2 1/2 weeks), and again explained the situation and felt it was all news to him again and explained the contact details again. I was informed that the major part of the fault had been repaired that day and the minor part would be carried out on the 22 of December and I would have a working phone on that evening and he would call me at home or contact my brother on that evening if it wasn't repaired. The minor fault was replacing the overhead cable. Well no phone and no message, I haven't heard anything since I spoke to bt on the 17. So 19 working days and still no working phone. What a joke of a company. So I'm posting on here hoping a Mod can have a look and resolve this issue as I can't see any point in phoning India to be lied to again. I've always had success on here with small broadband issues, so I'm trying here for this as well. I've tried to keep my anger out of this and just give the facts.

A neighbour has also phoned on 2 occasions to complain of the slow repair time, worried for my fathers health and possible serious consequences with no way for him to call for help, whether me, my brother or an ambulance. They even lent him a spare mobile phone, which was a little peace of mind, but he'd spent 30 minutes one day trying to use it and failed (also explained to bt).

So it's now been a month without a phone, broadband speed is poor and on several occasions the home hub has failed to sync, had to use an old single port modem to connect at 160kbps up and down normally get 7.15M down 488kbps up. I realise the BB speed will be resolved when the fault is fixed, but I'm paying for 2 services and not getting 1 at all and the other is quite often so slow most web sites time out or fail to appear. Any time of year without these services would be bad especially such a lengthy period, but over Christmas!!! 

If the fault is on the line I even have a simple solution for openreach, the next door neighbour hasn't used his landline in over a year ( so not active) and it comes off the same pole as mine, so swap the cable connections at either end and we have a new line and they can replace the other one at their own convenience. The exchange is in the process of being fibre enabled and this phone issues has happened during this work, I suspect not a coincidence.

Hoping for some help.

Azzmor 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: 1 Month without a phone

I'm asking the moderators to look into this for you and they should post contact info here in the morning.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Hi Azzmor,

I am sorry to hear about the delay in getting your telephone service repaired. I can take a look at this for you. Please send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
azzmor
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Thank you, have contacted the mod. Wait and see now!

0 Ratings
azzmor
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Details sent. Hope this can be resolved quickly now.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

after sending the email you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help and it can take 3/5 working days before your email reaches top of inbox and mods get back to you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings