cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
welshman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

1571 Service Cannot Be Cancelled - Why Not???

I am at my wits end with BT and this blasted 1571 nonsense. This is a service which I have never asked for or requested. I was completely unaware that I even had 1571 on my landline until I was told about it 3 weeks ago. 3 weeks later, 3 calls to BT, 2 line faults raised and fixed (apparently) and it's stiill there.

I had a problem with my Broadband and someone from BT rang. By the time I got to the phone it had stopped ringing. Later that day I had an email from BT advising me that my Broadband problem had been fixed and they had left a message for me about this matter on my landline. I have no answering machine at home so I just thought it was a mistake.

A few days later I was asked by a relative if I had received the message they had left on my landline. I do not have any answering machine/voicemail service on my landline. My relative assured me I did and advised me to ring 1571 from my landline so I did. I dialled 1571 and a voice said 'Welcome to the voicemail retrieval service, you have 3 new messages'. One message was pretty important, well it was when it was left over a week ago.

I rang BT and asked for 1571 to be cancelled/removed from my landline. BT took all my details and I was assured it would be removed within 24 hours. The next time I was out I tried calling my home landline number to check 1571 had been removed but after a few rings it went to a message service. Again I ring BT, I'm told that it looks like it wasn't removed correctly and it will be done within 48 hours. I was advised after 48 hours had passed ring 1571 and a recording would play saying something along the lines of this service is not available on this line. 

6 days later (Saturday 29th January 2011) I try calling 1571 and I am informed of yet more new messages. For a third time I ring BT and ask for the service to be removed. This time I'm told that the service was removed and it is definitely not active on my line. It took some time to convince BT that 1571 is still active and this was achieved when the lady I was dealing with offered to ring my landline which I was calling her from from another phone line she had available. 2 minutes later she returns. Low and behold there is a messaging service on my line. But BT insist that it is not the BT 1571 service. Then the same lady calls me on my mobile. I put my home phone on loud speaker and ring 1571, immediately I'm greeted with Welcome to the voicemail retrieval service, you have 2 new messages. The first being the test message from BT seconds earlier. I'm told it will be looked into and I'll be contacted later.

A few hours later the same lady calls back. She's sussed what the problem is. Apparently it is 100% not 1571. It's an answering machine which I have at home. Wrong. I have no answering machine. The phones I have at home have no answering machine or voicemail feature as I have never wanted one. An engineer will investigate and call me Monday.

Sunday afternoon I try 1571 and I have yet another new message. This new message is from BT advising me that I do not have 1571 on my landline. But hang on, I listened to this message from BT by ringing 1571........... So now BT leave me a message on a service they say I do not have. I retrieve this message by calling 1571 which is apparently the service I do not have. Anyone else seeing the irony here????????????????????????????????

Just checked online and apparently 2 faults have been raised on my landline. 1 on Saturday which was apparently fixed a few hours later then another fault created on Sunday and then fixed a few hours later too. But I still have access to a voicemail service on my BT landline which is accessed by dialling 1571. 

If I do not answer my home phone within so many seconds the call is passed through to a messaging service. If someone calls and the landline is in use on another call they get passed through to a messaging service. Any messages left are accessed by ringing 1571. BT swear blind I do not have this feature and it must be from another provider. I have been a BT customer all off my life. Does anybody know of any other landline messaging services/providers which are accessed by ringing 1571 which are not BT??? 

Can somebody please help and get this issue sorted? 

Tags (4)
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 2 of 10

Re: 1571 Service Cannot Be Cancelled - Why Not???

Hi Welshman,

Thanks for the post.  I am sorry that 1571 is still active on your line.  I can help get this removed.

Its strange that you have had so many problem trying to cancel this service as it should be a simple order.  Not to worry I would like to sort this out for you.  Please drop me an email to the email address in my profile. (click on my name and you will find the address under the "about me" section). Include your BT account details and the link to this thread.

Cheers

Sean

Community ManagerSeanD
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
RAMB
Message 3 of 10

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Welcome to the voicemail retrieval service, you have 3 new messages the announce ment made by bt's 1571 is this is bt answer 1571you have ***** new messages your announcement sounds like one from a non bt phone supplier ihave heard similar to the one mention from sky and talk talk but not bt
0 Ratings
Lynsoreres
Message 5 of 10

I have tried and tried to get the "Voicemail Retrieval Service " removed from my line. It appeared when I transferred my line rental from BT to Talktalk. The latter deny absolutely it is anything to do with them and indeed their system actually says it is the Talktalk voicemail. BT says it can't be them because I am no longer a BT customer but the female voice sounds identical to the BT one. I get no help from BT because I am not a customer,although I might be again soon.

I wonder if it is some glitch in BT's system that automatically installs it when a line is moved. This problem is mentioned on another non-BT website and it does seem that BT can sort it out in some cases.Any help from anyone?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Does anybody know of any other landline messaging services/providers which are accessed by ringing 1571 which are not BT???

Yes they all have there own services all use 1571
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 10

When you dial 1571 does the announcement say "welcome to BT answer" if it does not say that then it is not BTs answering system and yes it is possible to have a 1571 service from other suppliers, sounds like your service was not fully migrated from talk talk

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
519jade
Message 8 of 10

Ahhh I am not alone have tried unsuccessfully to remove this on the BT my account service online - it advises me I do not have a phone line!!! (what have I been paying for using all this time then?)

Have also tried twice on telephone to customer services and twice on web chat - just been advised again

I have now deactivated the 1571 service on your account and I have also spoken to 1571 helpdesk team to deactivate it on the your phone so that it will be deactivated within 24 hours.

Fingers crossed 6th time lucky???!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 10

@519jade wrote:

Ahhh I am not alone have tried unsuccessfully to remove this on the BT my account service online - it advises me I do not have a phone line!!! (what have I been paying for using all this time then?)

Have also tried twice on telephone to customer services and twice on web chat - just been advised again

I have now deactivated the 1571 service on your account and I have also spoken to 1571 helpdesk team to deactivate it on the your phone so that it will be deactivated within 24 hours.

Fingers crossed 6th time lucky???!

Live Web chat should be able to do that for you, thats the way i did mine. It does take at least 24 hrs to filter through.

If you get any more problems with it , get in touch with the mods.

If you fill in this form: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951 with a link back to your post for ref, the mods will get back to you. It can take up to 3 days ( sometimes longer in busy periods), and they will contact you direct via phone or email.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
PaulVarjak
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Is it possible to deactivate 1571 by logging into your BT account on-line?

To the Talktalk cusotmer who has their voicemail retrieval service: You can cvertainly deactivate voicemail by logging into your account on-line.

0 Ratings