Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
JerH73
Message 1 of 8

2nd landline

Go to solution

We have recently changed over from Sky to BT for broadband and telephone. While with Sky we had a working landline downstairs and upstairs.

While waiting for an e-mail advisising me that I was good to go with setting up the broadband, an engineer actually arrived at the door and advised that there had been a problem with the line and he proceeded to set up the broadband for us.

Both the broadband and downstairs landline have been working fine since the set up but the upstairs landline is no longer working. Is it the responsibility of BT/Openreach to fix this as it seems possible the connection was lost during the set up or is there something additional I can do to fix it?

After calling BT they told me they are only responsible for the master socket but they have referred it to Open Reach - has anyone else had this problem?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: 2nd landline

Go to solution

when you say 2nd line was the conenction upstairs just an extension of the socket downstairs which is the actual master socket?  if it is any internal wiring is reponsibility of homeowner  from your description  sounds like the engineer has just not reconnected the upstairs extension wiring in master socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

If the upstairs phone socket was an extension, then that may have needed to be disconnected to make your broadband work. Unfortunately extension wiring is the respossibility of the customer.

Did Openreach change the master phone socket, if so, which one does it look like now?

Master socket with one socket

Or

Master socket with two sockets

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Communityhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
JerH73
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Its a one socket one. Its says  Open Reach on the front and Master Socket 5c on top.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

I think that is the second one, does it have clips on the side, and was it fitted when Openreach visited?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
JerH73
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Yes- that's the one.

It was fitted by the Open Reach engineer.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

@JerH73 wrote:

Yes- that's the one.

It was fitted by the Open Reach engineer.

The wiring to the extension, should be connected to the block underneath the bottom section, as shown on this picture NTE 5C extension terminals

Its possible that its been forgotton. If so, you just need to reconnect it yourself.

Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution
As IMJOLLY asks, these 2 sockets you have were they 2 separate numbers or were they just 2 sockets on the same number.
You say that you had a visit from an Openreach engineer. Did he change one of the sockets by any chance?
If so he may not have correctly connected up the extension socket.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.