cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abzmike
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

6 weeks and counting

The short version of our tale of woe... Moved house in early December, took over existing line and BT broadband. Rural location, couple of miles from the local village exchange, no mobile signal... Line was droppy but livable. Then on Dec 21st phone line, and of course broadband went dead. Called in the fault, told it would be fixed by Dec 25th, it wasn't. To be clear the fault is in Openreach's domain - no engineer has been visited my property (one was supposed to visit but didn't despite my partner taking the day off). I won't list out the calls made and commitments received for resolution. On one occasion BT thought the fault was fixed and closed it - No-one had the courtesy to check with me whether it was fixed, of course it wasn't. Latest story, was promised that fault would be fixed last Friday, it wasn't... Called faults again, profuse apologies, received a text saying that fault would be fixed by Wed 28th. Got a call yesterday to advise that fault will be fixed by February 10th. Do I have any faith that BT/Openreach will meet this commitment? Frankly no... all other promises have been missed, false, or lies. The call centre can't do anything, there is no escalation path, no-one with any authority can tell me anything useful.

So, best case scenario will be an over 7 week time to fix - In what field of business is this an acceptable time for a repair? If anyone has any suggestions as to how to progress please advise.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: 6 weeks and counting

Hi abzmike,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum, I'm sorry about the delays in getting your line fault sorted.  We can chase this up with Openreach to find out whats happening. Please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile under the 'about me' section to send in your details. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Just read your post.

Your experience is almost identical to mine. 

Rural location promises of engineer visits and weeks of waiting and chasing BT with still no sign of a fix. 

Are you sorted yet?

My  plan B is to email the chief executive. 

Can't believe how poor communication has been from BT.

0 Ratings
abzmike
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Like I said I have a resolution commitment of 10th Feb from Openreach. Issue is the line so no home visit is required, so I'm told. Also told it is a 'common fault' which I would have thought would raise the priority, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Let's wait till next week and see what happens.
0 Ratings
abzmike
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Oh, and this morning I've just received my phone bill... Exactly what for, when I'm not receiving any service? Rental for a faulty line... I realise it will be credited whenever the fault is fixed, but would it not be better, from a customer relations point of view, for billing to be suspended for lines that have a fault?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

the bills are produced automatically also suspending a bill because of a fault would change the billing date for future bills
0 Ratings
abzmike
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

John - Yes I can understand that... But receiving a bill for a service you have not been receiving for 7 weeks is rather rubbing salt in the wound. It should be possible for a routine to be built into the billing system not to generate a bill for a line that is out of service, keep the billing date the same and just reconcile when the fault is cleared, credit is applied and life goes back to normal. That is what an organisation with some dedication to customer service would do. As it is I am expected to continue paying for something I'm not getting, which is entirely unreasonable.
0 Ratings
abzmike
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Happy to report that after almost 8 weeks of waiting, Openreach finally fixed thier network and restored service. Thanks to Conor for his help in progressing this.

It has to be noted though that the lack of accountability of Openreach to deliver a fix in a reasonable timeframe is, to my eyes at least, a disgrace. How Ofcom can view the current arrangements as acceptable is beyond me. As far as I can tell there is no imperative on Openreach to perform any work at all - If a fault is open for weeks they loose a few quid in rental, so no big deal. BT retail have no control, and have to wait like the rest of us. Some realignment of service expectations and penalties is  required, as the current system is badly broken.

0 Ratings
abzmike
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

...and I thought this was resolved.

Well our line is reconnected, and service restored - But the wrong line has been connected up! We have a phone and broadband, but it is the WRONG number. Conor is being very helpful and chasing Openreach - But they seem to be beyond the pale...

I'll continue to update until this is properly fixed... December 21st to February 25th - 9 1/2 weeks...
0 Ratings