cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
A1944
Expert
Message 1 of 27

85 year old with unreliable phone service - no ringback from India

My 85 year old brother-in-law who lives many miles away has an intermittent problem with his phone.  It has been reported several times over the last year but has never been resolved.

Basically what happens is that when ringing him, or him ringing us, the number rings and is answered, but there is no speech heard sometimes in one direction and sometimes in both directions.  It is definitely associated with his phone and not ours as I have had it happen with calls not only from my BT landline but also with my O2 mobile.

It seems to me that there is some undiagnosed fault at his exchange as replacement phones sent by BT have had no effect in the past.

I spoke with an operator on 0800 800 151 yesterday who promised to arrange for the engineers to monitor the line for 24 hours and that he would ring me back between 9 and 11 this morning, an arrangement which was confirmed by a text message at 8am, but I have had no call.

The problem was still occuring during the monitoring period but, due to the failure to ring me, I have no idea if anything was found.

Is it possible please for one of the mods to get back to me to escalate this as my brother-in-law is, as I say, 85 years old, he is often on his own in a fairly isolated area and has no other means of communication in the event of an emergency.

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27

Re: 85 year old with unreliable phone service - no ringback from India

Hi A1944,

I've made the contact the mods link available to you so you can forward over your brother in laws details.  You'll find the link by clicking on my username. 

Thanks

Neil

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
A1944
Expert
Message 3 of 27

Thank you Neil

E-Mail sent and acknowledged.

0 Ratings
A1944
Expert
Message 4 of 27

Further to this, it appears that they actually called my brother-in-law when they should have been calling me this morning.  So that would have achieved hardly anything, as his technical knowledge of such matters lies in the region of zero.  I am none the wiser from what he told us.  At least tonight we got through to him with no problems, but that usually has been the case for quite a while, so means nothing as it is probably just chance when his phone connects to the faulty kit at the exchange and when it does not.

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 27

Might be worth a look at the 'protected services' scheme in the 'sticky' links above the postings on this forum if your BiL really needs his phone service working...

0 Ratings
A1944
Expert
Message 6 of 27

Hi Telecom89

Thanks for the thought.  However, having had a read of it, I can see that it doesn't cover his situation as it is a scheme for making sure that the bill is paid in the event of, for example, a hospital stay. That is not a problem as he pays by direct debit.

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 27

Also maybe take a look at:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31633/~/i-rely-on-my-telephone-and-need-it-repaired-u...

if that's relevant for him.

I see the moderators have been in touch so hopefully this should get sorted soon.

0 Ratings
A1944
Expert
Message 8 of 27

Thanks for that.

I followed the links through until I got to "Check the Free Priority Fault Repair guide now" when the trail went cold.  That took me to a great long list of possible files to download, but I could not see that one.

Yes, the mods have been in touch off the forum and I am hopeful that the problem will be solved.  Nothing is certain of course!

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 27

0 Ratings
A1944
Expert
Message 10 of 27

Ah yes, thanks.  Had a look at it and, unfortunately, he does not come within the very stict criteria to qualify for it.

0 Ratings