Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
j3d1c4nna
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

8500 Announce Mode woes

Hi

I bought a twin pack of the 8500 and have been, on the whole, pleased with them. I am, however, encountering a few issues that I can't fathom out. I have call guardian set to announce mode, which I have tested by calling home via my mobile (removed from the address book for the test) and, as expected, I get the message asking to state my name and press #. All is well, or so I thought. On several occasions now, the phone starts to ring and I can see that on the display it shows a number with 'announce mode' written underneath. I have auto answer set to off, so I expect to lift the receiver, press the green button, then listen to the person identify themselves etc etc. However, on most occasions, when I press the green button, I just hear silence until I tentatively say hello and the person at the other end replies to me! So, basically, they weren't introduced to me and I didn't get the chance to accept, reject etc.

This is all very frustrating. Is anyone else having the same issues and,more importantly, is there anything I can do to make these handsets work more reliably in Call Guardian mode?

Thanks
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Lurkalot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Re: 8500 Announce Mode woes

That sounds a bit strange as I too would intuitively expect to hear the Announce message after pressing the green button for an Announced call. Have you allowed that number in the past?

I find it inconsistent with the way it handles incoming calls, but happily I have not had a single unwanted call put through in four months and all unwanted calls have been successfully blocked. I set up custom settings to block all Withheld, International, Unavailable numbers. Mobile and Payphone are Allowed. So all other numbers are Announced.

There seems to be problems with the 8500 getting it wrong sometimes. It's the way it handles *wanted* calls that is not very consistent (YMMV). Same goes for the answerphone, which handles incoming calls the same way as your Call Guardian settings.

Today a number called that's on my Allowed List, their name was on the display so it's already in my Address book and so CLID worked, but it was flagged up as an Announced call (why?). Instead of getting straight through, they had to state their name and usual rigmarole.

I just think the 8500 wasn't 100% sorted before it went on sale and it has some bugs that we are forced to persevere with.

0 Ratings
j3d1c4nna
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Nope, hadn't allowed the numbers. Really odd. To be fair, I've not had any unwanted calls at all since using the 8500, but certainly unexpected and random results with calls that I want to receive.

I'm guessing that there will be no way to update the firmware in the phones, so we're stuck with functionality as it is? If so, that's a pain, as I promised my wife that these phones would be trouble free compared to the awful 6500s that we had previously!
0 Ratings
Lurkalot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Seems that the phone can't be flash-upgraded, which is pretty bad when something is being constantly updated. Stock answer to faulty phones seems to be, just send the lot back.

Mine is largely acceptable, main problem is the lack of consistency handling inbound calls which causes a loss of faith, I have to keep half an eye on it. If it plays up I will go back to Panasonic, eg nuisance call blocker kx-tgh220e - in fact once Panasonic gets beyond the 50-calls limit I might get one anyway.  Their phones do all sorts, eg key finder and mobile phone finder. But they're not flash upgradeable either.

In my experience (home & home office) Panasonic have easily been the best, BT branded phones a so-so second and Philips a distant third. But for now at least the 8500 has dealt with all unwanted nuisance calls, which has been bliss for several months and it seemed a better bet than a separate Truecall box.

chime
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

@Lurkalot wrote:

Seems that the phone can't be flash-upgraded, which is pretty bad when something is being constantly updated. Stock answer to faulty phones seems to be, just send the lot back.

According to the last message in this thread

https://community.bt.com/t5/Phones/BT-Text-keeps-reverting-to-voicemail/m-p/1385637#M39779

"ring 08001456789 & ask for the tech support team. They will talk you through what you need to do to get the software update installed on your phone."

I haven't tried it .

chime

0 Ratings
j3d1c4nna
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Out of curiosity,i called the tech support number above and explained the issue I was having with the announce mode sometimes. Spoke with what sounded like an 8 year old girl who told me that it sounded like a micro filter problem and that I should try using it without filters! I explained that the announce mode works sometimes and was told that "the phone doesn't have a mind if its own. It won't just do it at random". Wowee!
I then asked what the process would be to update the firmware, if necessary. Once I explained what firmware is,i was told that it wasn't possible, as "it's not a mobile, you know!"

Gee whizz!
chime
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

The usual level of support then.

I don't have the problem as in this thread but can't get incoming texts to arrive as text.

For comparison my software is:

Handset XH08323_H5533

Base XB0810_B6539

If others include this information it might show if there are problems with certain versions.

chime

0 Ratings
Lurkalot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

That thread was a bit puzzling, pity we don't know more. It sounded more like the user applying (say) a hard reset or something, rather than a firmware update. No doubt there are all sorts of back doors we don't know about, but I'm told that the BT 8500 firmware absolutely isn't upgradeable.

Mine is also (Handset) XH08323_H5533 (is it the same on all five handsets I wonder)

(Base) XB0810_B6539

0 Ratings
Lurkalot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

(later)  I also tested SMS and it was a voice mail.  Once I Allowed 0845 6021111 that is... it was rejected first time.

(later still)

After more tests, I then sent Register to 00000 and tested it again from my mobile phone, and it's worked -- a text arrived on my 8500. I guess the feature got disabled or reset somewhere. Try sending Register again?

0 Ratings
chime
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Lurkalot,

I don't want to take this thread into texting problems so will respond to you on

https://community.bt.com/t5/Phones/BT8500-has-started-receiving-Text-Messages-as-voice-again/td-p/14...

later.

I agree the message I linked to is lacking in enough detail to know what may have happened. There are reset options in the Menu but there may be key combinations which the poster was asked to try but hasn't mentioned.

chime

0 Ratings