cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Account Holder bereavement - making it really hard to close an account.

Go to solution

I have recently lost my father-in-law to cancer, the end was very sudden and as a result I've got to sort out his estate.  My husband would struggle with this in normal events anyway but he also struggles with anxiety and depression, so it's left to me.  

I am having a very tough time with this and although my husband has had some dialogue with someone on a Facebook post, I am keen to ensure that the account has actually been handled correctly.  I would really appreciate someone confirming that the account is closed and letting me know what the outstanding bills are, as I'm keen to settle these and get the rest of the estate sorted. 

Here is what has happened so far, as I've been making notes. 

I've removed some personal details for obvious reasons:  

Dialogue with BT in order to close deceased father in law’s account.

Monday 30th January
I have an online chat, during which I establish that there is no way for me to close my deceased father-in-law’s account in a straightforward way. I am given the number (0800 code) for the “Loyalty team” (which begs the question – why is there no bereavement team with such a large supplier, this issue must literally happen every day?). I am told that the person talking to me knows them personally and that they are very good.
I ask for a non 0800 number as it’s not free for me to call
I am told it’s free from a BT landline or mobile.
I respond that I don’t have a BT landline or mobile and ask again for an alternative number.
I am told that if I give my mobile number, BT will text me and I can send one text back at a time that suits and they will call me straight back to sort out closing my late father-in-law’s account.

This is around 2pm. I say that I will need to go out, and it might be later when I text back. I am told this isn’t a problem and that I can text back whenever suits and will receive a call straight back.

Text from BT – Monday 30th December 14.20:
Hi, BT here. If you’re having problems with service, just text us back and we can talk through next steps. We’re open until 10pm. Thanks. (Texts are free unless you’re using Virgin Mobile).

Text from me to BT Monday 30th December 16.04:
Please call me back to discuss next steps. Thank you
{note – I get a warning from my service provider that this text is chargeable as I send it – regardless of the fact I do not have a Virgin Mobile}

Text from BT – Monday 30th December 21.39 (five and a half hours later):
Hi, BT here. Could you please help us with your BT account number so that we can go ahead and deal with the case. Thanks
{I was out and on a normal night I would have been in bed this late, so I waited to respond}

Text from me to BT Tuesday 31st December 14.39:
XXXXXXX is the account number . This is my father in law’s account. He has passed away. Thanks in advance for your help.

Text from BT- Tuesday 31st December 19.54 (another five and a half hours later):
Hi, Prala from BT. Thank you for the details and as you have said that you want call back to discuss next steps. Please let us know the time slot for 2 hrs slot on 02.01.2020 date. Will wait for your response.

Text from me to BT Tuesday 31st December 19.55:
Between 11am and 1pm would be good please.

Text from BT- Tuesday 31st December 20.00:
Hi, Prala from BT. Thank you for response again. And would like to inform you that a call back has been booked for 02.01.2020 between 11-1pm. If you’d like to change or cancel this appointment in advance, please text back and we’ll change it for you a day before. Thanks
{I wait to discuss the matter as arranged}

Text from BT- Thursday 2nd January 2020 11.41:
Hello, this is Shoaib from BT here. I will be calling you in the next 5 minutes from an 0800 number, thanks BT
{I have been waiting for a call and keeping the line free all morning, I do not get a call}

Text from BT- Thursday 2nd January 2020 11.48:
Hello MR WILLIS, This is Shoaib from BT, I tried calling you on both the numbers but could not get through, hence we have rescheduled a call back for tomorrow between 10.00 -12.00 to deal with the issue. Incase if you need any help, kindly reply to this message and we would do the needful. We really appreciate your patience. Thanks for choosing BT, have a great day.
{by this time, I’m quite upset, I assume that Shoaib has called my father-in-law’s landline and or mobile and didn’t get a response and this would be because he has passed away. Also, the text is addressed to my deceased father-in-law. It’s as if I have been talking to myself. Finally, I have never “chosen” BT and I am not having a good day, given I’m spending significant amounts of time sorting out my deceased father-in-law’s estate. So, I respond. And this is STILL COSTING ME MONEY}

Text from me to BT - Thursday 2nd January 2020 11.50:
You have not called me. This is not Mr Willis. As I have explained several times now, Mr Willis has passed away and I am his daughter in law dealing with his affairs. My number  is XXXXXXXXXXX. Please call me to sort out his account as soon as possible. I have been keeping this line free specifically waiting for your call.

Text from BT- Thursday 2nd January 2020 16.58 (three hours later):
Hello. This is Shoaib here from BT. I have checked the details for you and since the call-back is already assigned to the case manager, hence unfortunately we would not be able to call you today but we would surely call you tomorrow 10.00 – 12.00 to deal with the issue. Incase if you need any help, kindly reply to this message and we would do the needful. we really appreciate your patience. Thanks for choosing BT, have a great day.
{note – whilst all this is going on and knowing how upset I have become, my husband has initiated a conversation with BT via Facebook where he has managed to get someone to discuss the issue with him and agree to close the account. This took him less than 2 hours, although I've had no confirmation that this is the case. I must admit I hadn’t thought about doing it via that route – as I thought it would be better to use the normal channels. Thus, I wanted to close down this conversation, so I sent the following text, which is my fifth one.}

Text from me to BT - Thursday 2nd January 2020 17.04:
Hello. This is the last message I will be sending as I am being charged for each text I make to this number. I was told I would only have to text once. Sadly, this was not the case. I will not be “having a great day” given that I have just lost a member of my family and I am stunned and appalled that you should suggest this after I have explained the situation repeatedly. I am also wholly unfamiliar with the phrase “do the needful” and as a result I am quite confused by your message. Please cancel the call back as I have had to make a formal complaint and use a different route to cancel my father in law’s account. I am saddened and shocked that this is the case.

Text from BT- Thursday 2nd January 2020 22.11 (five hours later):
Hello there, Braj from BT here. I do apologise for the inconvenience you have to face with the services. I am really sorry as you have not received the call from our end today and I will make sure that we will ring you tomorrow between 10am to 12pm and resolve this for you. I will also update the mobile number you have provided so that we ring that particular number. Thanks
{I do not respond, as I said I will not, but it’s quite obvious that what I requested has not happened}

Text from BT- Friday 3rd January 2020 11.53 (why are all the calls made at the end of the advised slot?):
Hello MR R WILLIS, this is Dhananjoy from BT case management team. Just so you know we will be calling you within the next 5 minutes from an 0800 number to discuss your issue. We look forward to speaking with you soon. Thanks for choosing BT.

{I receive one phone call that rings once and rings off, I do not have a chance to answer}
{I receive another call, which I answer and I inform Dhananjoy that I am not Mr Willis and that Mr Willis has died. I inform him that I am his daughter in law and I have been seeking to close his account. I inform him that my husband has resolved the issue using another channel and ask him to make sure no one calls me again. At this point I am really upset. I am asked to provide my details (I’ve already done that via my husband, so I refuse) }

Text from BT- Friday 3rd January 2020 11.53:
Hello MR R WILLIS, this is Dhananjoy from BT case management team. We do apologise for the inconvenience caused to you regarding the services. As over the call you have confirmed to me the issue has ben fixed and you don’t want a call back from us. Are you happy for us to close your complaint? If you are, just reply “Yes” to this text. If you’re not, please reply “No” with the issue you want us to help you with. If we don’t hear from you within 14 days, we’ll assume your complaint is resolved and close it. Thanks for choosing BT.

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Account Holder bereavement - making it really hard to close an account.

Go to solution

this is a customer help customer forum and your post does not go to BT

I have asked forum mods to see if the can help as they are BT employees   they will post here

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Thank you, I'm really at my wit's end and I appreciate the clarity. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

@Purple-Evie  Sorry for your loss.

BT do have a bereavement team, they are UK based, call 0800 800 150 and when the system asks why you're calling state bereavement.
You will then be put through to a UK based billing advisor, they will take care of everything for you, they are given extra training for bereavement calls 🙂

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution
Highlighted
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @Purple-Evie,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Community. I'm sorry to hear about the sad passing of your father-in-law. I do understand that this has been tough on you and your family. 

I'm sorry the closure of your father-in-law's account hasn't gone smoothly. If you give the Bereavement team a call on the number @Keith_Beddoe has posted, they'll be able to help you with this.

Please give them a try and post back to let us know how you get on?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Thank you Paddy.  

I honestly can't cope with talking to any more people, I almost properly lost my temper earlier and I don't want to do that!  I did look at the link and use that to email over all the details, so hopefully that will illicit a response. 

Appreciate you following it up, thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Exactly this same mess has just happened to my bereaved sister-in -law after my brother died

Somebody has treated her trying to get the account changed to her name as if she was a totally unrelated person moving into that house.    They cut off her phone and internet instantly and are talking weeks to get it back and no guarantee of her getting the same landline number back

No one she spoke to on the phone gave her that bereavement number to call.  I sure hope they can unravel this first thing tomorrow when it opens again but BT you really need to be doing something about your call service operatives

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @Stevek1311 and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your brother, please accept my condolences. If there is anything I can to to help your sister-in-law please let me know. 

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Sorry missed that reply, thanks for that, will PM but things have improved (a bit)

0 Ratings