Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eppleby99
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Activating BT in a house with Virgin Media

Go to solution
I am a BT customer who has just moved house. I was told by BT that my broadband and phone could be set up in my new house remotely. The previous owners had virgin media. I have now recieved a confirmation text from BT saying my service is up and running. However all the telephone sockets are dead, no dialling tone. One of the sockets is labelled virgin media, the other labelled BT, both are the master socket type (split front cover). An internet search suggests that virgin media doesn’t use the openreach network so am now wondering if the previous owners have all the sockets connected to the virgin network. If so, even if BT think I have a line to the house that just needed to be reconnected, there may not be any live BT sockets within the house that I can actually connect to. Therefore unless new BT sockets are installed in the house I won’t be subject to connect to the network. Does that sound right?
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Activating BT in a house with Virgin Media

Go to solution

If you connect a phone to the test socket in the bt master do you get a dial tone. If not need to phone 151 and get engineer visit

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
eppleby99
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution
Thanks, that was the first thing that I tried, but alas no tone from the test socket. Will give 151 a call.
0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution
This kind of thing isn't that uncommon, the property may have had 'BT' type service in the past, but that may have been many years ago ( possibly decades) ....when the occupant at the time went to the cable provider , the BT line is just left in situ but in a dormant state, so should BT type service be required in the future it should be simple to bring the line back into service...but, there were examples of cable installers totally removing the BT 'line' , even though they shouldn't ,making it less easy for that property to go back to 'BT' service, or it's possible that in the intervening years, something has happened to the connection between the BT exchange and the property, and even though the 'BT' record system shows line exists,it physically doesn't. AFAIK, the email or text that states services are up and running, should say who to contact if the service isn't actually up and running, the term they use internally is something like 'new customer fault' , as opposed to someone who line was working for months/years then went faulty... I was under the impression that in situations like this where they don't think they need to send an engineer on the installation date, they test the line , and if it wasn't a satisfactory test result, they arrange a visit anyway, presumably even though your line isn't working, it presumably tests ok, so don't be surprised if you get the ' if it's your own wiring at fault it's a chargeable visit' statement from the BT customer service people , just tell them its a brand new line ( so a new customer fault) and it's never worked , they may still need you to agree to the potential for charges though
0 Ratings
eppleby99
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
Thanks for advice. BT customer service was very helpful. They arranged an Openreach engineer to call on the Friday (go live fault was Wednesday). He came and got everything up and running. There had actuallly been a fault on the line outside (thankfully not my wiring). Engineer who came was helpful and efficient. He also arrived just when he said and gave me a call on my mobile in advance so I knew he was on the way. 😀
0 Ratings