cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eh18
Message 1 of 5

Activating phone line in new house

I'm moving into my own house soon and am desperate to have my phone and internet working as soon as possible when I move in as I've been without either for over 3 months. The phone line in the house is already installed it just needs to be activated as it hasn't been used for a few years. I've heard a lot about how phone line activation needs to be done by BT and that I need to buy an 18 month contract with BT in order for them to do it.

I really don't want a BT contract after some bad experiences with them (3 months without phone or internet!), is there any way I can get my phone line activated and then switch to another provider without incurring huge costs?

Any help is much appreciated!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Activating phone line in new house

Its Openreach, not BT that provide and activate lines for other service providers.

You are free to chose any service provider you like, but Openreach will still charge them for the work.

Whether the Service Provider passes the charge onto their customer, is up to them.

Most Service Providers, like BT, will offer a reduced installation charge, provided to agree to a contract, otherwise the standard charge is £130.

Some cable operators have their own circuits, so Openreach are not normally involved.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 5

There's no way, without paying a hefty cancellation fee, of connecting via BT then immediately moving to someone else.

However, any half-competent phone provider can arrange for Openreach to re-connect your line as part of a new contract with them.

0 Ratings
RM2807
Message 4 of 5

Hi, I'm in the same situation as you. Almost 2 months without connection so not preferred to go with BT. Could i ask how did you get the line activated at the end?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
RM2807
Message 5 of 5

Hi I am in the same situation as you were. I have been waiting for BT for almost 2months. May i ask how did you resolve it at the end please?

0 Ratings