Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lottie87
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Advice on possible grants for phone line

Hi

I am after some advice

After 9 months of dealing with BT, with rediculous amount of problems, having various engineers come out and even more excuses for why a phone line was taking so long to be connected, we were told that there is about 200m where there is no available line to connect us. 

As it is not a standard connection fee we have been told we need to pay £4500 to be connected which we are unable to afford.

We live in the country and have no mobile signal (we have tried various networks) and without having a phone line/internet we have no access to phone/inbternet and therefore no contact to the emergency services if needed. It is also necessary for me to be contacted 24hours a day due to my work.

I have been told there is some sort of grant for rural houses to be connected to the phone/internet. Is anyone able to advise me on if there is one and how to apply.

Thank you

Charlotte Sarfas

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Advice on possible grants for phone line

what was the outcome when you contacted the mods in July 2012 - were they able to help or explain the line problem?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 5

If any support is available it's likely to be a local initiative, like this one. Best place to start is probably your County Council.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 5

I know when Openreach need to install new line plant to provide service they will pay the first £1,500, or was it £2,500 then you need to cough up the rest.

Actually don't quote me on that, but I'm sure that's how it was when I worked there a while back.

Not sure if you can get a grant to get a phone line installed though, I know there are Local Government Subsidies to get Communities online for broadband but its usually a small amount like £300 per household or something and would only apply to say a Village or Town, each individual property wouldn't actually get the money, if you see what I mean?

0 Ratings
lottie87
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

I can not remember whether we did contact the mods back in July, I think my husband managed to send in a written complaint and spoke to a senior manager in the end who sent out two openreach engineers that new what they were doing. This only happened last month. I think we battled on trying to ring various other people until then so can not remember everyone we spoke to. My apologies.

Thank you for advice on possible grants, i will have a look.

0 Ratings