Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Safsnowball
Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Advice please on removing unused Openreach socket

Go to solution

59D33E69-7539-4779-B29A-FEC43350E0C5.jpegHi hoping I’m posting this in the right place. I want to remove an unused Openreach socket which is in an upstairs bedroom. At the moment my phone and Broadband come from a socket in the downstairs hall. 

When I took off the box in the bedroom I was faced with the wiring shown in the picture. There is insufficient space to push the wires intact through the hole. My concern is that if I just cut the two black cables and push them through the wall I will be severing the connection to the downstairs box.

The wire from the Pole outside in the street enters the house near to the front bedroom.

We inherited this setup when we bought the house a few years ago, so I don’t know how it was originally installed.

Any advice gratefully received, am I better getting Openreach or an independent in to sort it safely?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Advice please on removing unused Openreach socket

Go to solution

Who provides your phone service at the moment?

0 Ratings
Safsnowball
Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution
Thanks for response, it’s BT
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

Unless you pay Openreach to move the cable from the pole to a new location, you are stuck with the current arrangement as those wires are feeding your connection. Do not cut them.

Highlighted
Railwayman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

Hi

Best way to deal with them wires would be to sink a single gang electrical box into the wall around the cables, house the cables inside as they are and put a screwed blanking plate on to cover them, all nice and neat and access to the wires should it be required

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

@Safsnowball wrote:
Thanks for response, it’s BT

You can need to ask BT for an Internal Home Move, and they will pass the task to Openreach. You would be charged about £130. They would move the main incoming line, to downstairs, and then you can fill in the old hole.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Hi @Safsnowball welcome to the community and thanks for posting, @Keith_Beddoe is not too far off the mark but if you're asking BT to arrange for Openreach to do the work it's known as a socket move or internal shift. 

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

@NeilO Would an internal shift also cover either replacing the drop wire or providing a weatherproof external join and new external cable to the revised location, otherwise the OP will still be at square one.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

@licquorice good point,  no that wouldn't be covered. If the location of the drop wire to the property needs to be moved to a new point of entry an external shift would be needed and they're more expensive. £193.05 including VAT. 

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
Safsnowball
Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks all for the suggestions. I’m thinking that the idea of making the hole bigger and putting a blanking plate over which would allow subsequent access if needed, is the way forward.

0 Ratings